BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – All customers with a 716 area code should be aware of the introduction of the new 624 area code. Beginning November 16, 2023, customers ordering new telephone lines or services in the western portion of New York – including all or parts of the following counties: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie and Niagara counties, and the following communities: Buffalo, Jamestown, Cheektowaga, Tonawanda, Niagara Falls, and West Seneca – may be assigned numbers using the new 624 area code.
To ensure a continuing supply of new telephone numbers, the 624 area code will be added as an overlay to the 716 region. An overlay is the addition of another area code (624) to the same geographic region served by an existing area code (716). The 624 area code will co-exist everywhere in this region with the 716 area code. An overlay does not require customers to change their existing area code, but requires customers to continue to dial the area code to complete local calls.
The key facts for consumers to know about the upcoming NY 716/624 area code overlay are:
- Your current telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- If you seek new phone service on and after November 16, 2023, you may be assigned a new phone number with the 624 area code.
- You will continue to dial the area code + telephone number for all local calls, including calls within the same area code.
- You will continue to dial 1 + area code + telephone number for all long-distance calls.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911 and 988, as well as 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711, and 811 if those are currently available in your community.
Please remember to identify your telephone number as a 10-digit number and include the area code when giving the number to friends, family, business associates and customers, etc. You should also ensure that all services, automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment recognize the new 624 area code as a valid area code, and continue to store or program telephone numbers as 10-digit numbers.