- Nokia Networks helps Vodafone New Zealand to achieve another country-first landmark
- VoLTE offers high-definition voice quality, faster call setup times
Auckland, New Zealand – 11 March 2015
Vodafone New Zealand, the top operator in the country, selected Nokia Networks and its Voice over LTE (VoLTE) solution to conduct the first VoLTE call on a cloud-based IMS network. With this, the operator showcased its readiness to offer high-definition (HD) voice calls for its customers.
VoLTE – a technology that provides crystal-clear voice quality
As a next-generation technology, VoLTE has multiple benefits for operators and customers alike. These include HD voice quality, faster call set-up times with voice continuity, and optimized performance under load. The overall data consumption and signaling load is also lower compared to over-the-top voice applications.
Solution details at a glance:
- Nokia Networks implemented and integrated its IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS), Open TAS (Telecommunications Application Server), Home Subscriber Server (HSS) and Border Gateway (Open BGW) to enable the VoLTE call
- Nokia Cloud Application Manager* was used to run VoLTE over the cloud
Tony Baird, Technology Director, Vodafone New Zealand, said: “As New Zealand’s 4G leader, we’re committed to investing in our 4G network for the benefit of customers – VoLTE is the next evolution. Together with Nokia Networks, we have made real progress with tests and hope to launch a commercial VoLTE service soon.”
Vodafone has New Zealand’s largest 4G network, reaching over 70 percent of New Zealand’s population.
Ray Owen, Head of Australia and New Zealand, Nokia Networks, said: “Nokia Networks is proud to partner with Vodafone New Zealand to bring the first VoLTE experience to consumers in New Zealand. This is an important milestone - not only in New Zealand - but across the Asia Pacific region. It enables Vodafone’s customers to be among the first subscribers in the world to experience VoLTE.”
Did you know?
- Vodafone New Zealand is the largest mobile operator in the country and the first to launch LTE services in New Zealand. Last year, Vodafone launched its commercial 700 MHz LTE network, one of the first Asia Pacific Telecommunity (APT) 700 MHz networks in the world.
- Recent tests in Nokia Networks Smart Labs show that VoLTE clients show significantly lower data consumption thanks to a more efficient stand-by mode.
- Since VoLTE works without an app and to any number in the world, mobile operators have a powerful tool to compete with OTT players.
- As forerunner in the evolution to telco cloud, Nokia developed virtualized network functions and Cloud Application Management with operators and demonstrated the readiness of cloud technology for commercial deployment.
- Blog: Are VoLTE and Voice over WiFi revolutionizing mobile voice?
- Blog: Which is better, VoIP or VoLTE? A reality check
- Whitepaper: Evolve to richer voice with Voice over LTE (VoLTE)
- Infographics: Voice over Wi-Fi (VoWiFi) - under "Infographics" on the right
- YouTube: http://networks.nokia.com/portfolio/solutions/voice-over-lte
- Insight newsletter: High quality voice, data, real-time communications and services with VoLTE
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: VoLTE, Vodafone, New Zealand, Nokia Networks
About Vodafone New Zealand
Vodafone is New Zealand’s leading mobile provider, connecting 2.3 million mobile customers to the things and people that matter – every day. With New Zealand’s largest 4G network, and more than 1500 mobile sites covering 97.5 percent of where New Zealanders live, work and play; Vodafone is committed to investing in a network New Zealanders can rely on. Vodafone was the first to launch 3G and 4G and the first to bring HD Voice calling to New Zealand.
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. http://networks.nokia.com/ // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +852 9747 5873
Phone: +358 7140 02869
Vodafone New Zealand
Phone: +0800 836 3342
*Nokia Cloud Application Manager drastically shortens the time to install and commission telco and IT cloud applications from days to minutes, enabling new services to be ramped up faster than ever before. Its multiple cloud stack support minimizes operators’ cloud platform costs, and its high-degree of automation and real-time holistic view of cloud deployments make the performance of cloud application operations and maintenance highly efficient and safe.
- See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/vodafone-nokia-networks-conduct-new-zealand-s-first-voice-over-lte-call#sthash.fMWMpmQ6.dpuf