Innovative 100G coherent solution more than triples the trans-Pacific capacity
HANOVER, Md. — 01/19/2015
The Trans Pacific Express cable network (TPE) consortium is significantly increasing the capacity on its 17,968 km international submarine cable system to address bandwidth demands driven by growth in the Asia-Pacific region. Ciena® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) is providing TPE with a multi-terabit upgrade using its GeoMesh submarine solution, including its new WaveLogic coherent optical processors’ capabilities, to more than triple the capacity of TPE, as compared to the original design capacity when it first went into service in 2008.
- TPE is a submarine telecommunications cable linking Mainland of China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and the United States. The system is a joint venture originated between multiple telecommunications companies—China Telecom, China Unicom, Chunghwa Telecom, Korea Telecom, NTT Communications and Verizon.
- TeleGeography forecasts demand for trans-Pacific capacity to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 34 percent per year in the five years 2015-2020, to a total of 76 Tb/s (almost six times the 2014 capacity).
- Ciena’s GeoMesh integrated submarine and terrestrial solution, including the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, powered by Ciena’s unique new WaveLogic 3 8D-2QAM modulation and Flexible Grid photonic layer will increase the capacity of TPE, including a segment longer than 11,000 km, maximizing the useful lifetime and profitability of the system.
- Ciena’s GeoMesh submarine solutions provide an OPⁿ® network architecture that enables programmable and scalable network designs and a foundation for software-defined submarine networks. It also enables dynamic network provisioning and opportunities to differentiate service providers and cable operators—from bandwidth-on-demand, to circuits-on-demand, dynamic spectrum-on-demand, new client interfaces, and much more.
- “This network enhancement will substantially enhance TPE’s ability to provide high bandwidth for the growing Internet traffic and applications such as video and e-commerce. Ciena is working with submarine consortia and service providers worldwide to provide scalable and programmable architectures that increase the ultimate capacity of their existing network assets while enhancing their agility and flexibility.”
– Ed McCormack, Vice President and General Manager of Submarine Systems, Ciena
- At the Pacific Telecommunications Council PTC’15 conference, taking place January 18-21 in Honolulu, Ciena leaders will present on a number of topics, including SDN/NFV, big data analytics and new methods to increase submarine capacity. For a complete list, clickhere.
- Product Page: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: WaveLogic Coherent Optics
- White Paper: GeoMesh Integrated Test Set Capabilities
- Application Note: Enabling a Bigger and Smarter Network with WaveLogic
- Webinar: The Future of Submarine Networks
- Video: GeoMesh: Don’t Be Left Behind
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedInhttp://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 19, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
+1 (410) 865-8964