Ciena’s coherent optical solutions extend ultimate capacity and lifetime of cable
HANOVER, Md. — 01/19/2015
The Japan-U.S. Cable Network recently selected Ciena® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) to expand its trans-Pacific submarine network that spans close to 22,000 km and provides diverse connectivity from Japan to the U.S. This upgrade will utilize the flexibility and scalability of Ciena’sGeoMesh submarine solution and the latest WaveLogic programmable coherent optical technology to further increase the capacity of the network, which was originally upgraded with Ciena’s coherent solution in 2012.
- The Japan-U.S. Cable Network is made up of 35 consortium members, including leading global service providers such as CenturyLink, KDDI, NTT Communications, SoftBank Telecom and Verizon.
- Utilizing programmable modulation features on Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, the network will leverage Ciena’s unique new WaveLogic 3 8D-2QAM modulation capability and Flexible Grid technology to achieve a 60 percent or more increase in the design capacity of the longest trans-Pacific segment.
- The Japan-U.S. Cable Network will also utilize Ciena’s 200G 16QAM modulation on the shortest segments to double the capacity per wavelength and realize savings in equipment cost, power consumption and space requirements.
- This upgrade follows a 200G trial completed in February 2014, and builds on the 2012 deployment of Ciena’s 100G submarine solutions across the Japan-U.S. Cable Network.
- “Selecting Ciena for this upgrade helps position us to meet growing demand with our existing infrastructure, not just today but for years to come.”
– Masahiro Soma, Japan-US CN upgrade procurement group co-chairman
- “International traffic continues to soar thanks to the growth of mobile applications, data center interconnectivity, and demand for webscale traffic. Ciena has been at the forefront of global submarine network transformation and our latest coherent optical solutions will enable operators to better handle this growing demand while also seeing greater return on existing subsea assets.”
– Ed McCormack, vice president and general manager of Submarine Systems at Ciena
- At the Pacific Telecommunications Council PTC’15 conference, taking place January 18-21 in Honolulu, Ciena leaders will present on a number of topics, including SDN/NFV, big data analytics and new methods to increase submarine capacity. For a complete list, clickhere.
- Product Page: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: WaveLogic Coherent Optics
- White Paper: GeoMesh Integrated Test Set Capabilities
- Application Note: Enabling a Bigger and Smarter Network with WaveLogic
- Video: GeoMesh: Don’t Be Left Behind
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedInhttp://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 19, 2014. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
+1 (410) 865-8964