- Deal marks India’s first FDD-LTE deployment across 6 circles
- World’s smallest, high-capacity Nokia Flexi Zone LTE Small Cells and professional services will improve capacity and coverage in dense areas
New Delhi / Gurgaon, India – 27 January 2015
Bharti Airtel, a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa, has commissioned Nokia Networks to expand its 4G presence to six new circles* using Nokia Networks’ radio network. The deal marks India’s first FDD-LTE deployment on 1800 MHz that will witness the launch of super-fast mobile broadband in 6 circles. Nokia Networks, already a supplier of Bharti Airtel’s TD-LTE network, will also deploy TD-LTE on the 2300 MHz in 2 other circles.
Deal details at a glance:
- Professional Services such as network planning and optimization, network implementation, systems integration as well as hardware care
- Cloud-ready network management system, NetAct, for effective and consolidated monitoring and optimization of the LTE network
- Compact and energy-efficient Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station,*** a software-defined radio platform which can be flexibly configured to increase network capacity depending on data consumption
- Flexi Zone for the small cells rollout to improve capacity and coverage in dense areas
Abhay Savargaonkar, CTO, Bharti Airtel, said: “With our commitment to build an efficient internet ecosystem in India, we continue to introduce new technologies and strengthen our existing capabilities. Having already launched the high-speed 4G services across four circles of India, we are now looking at extending this enriching high-speed broadband experience to new circles on 1800 MHz band. Our association with Nokia Networks will help us support our vision and provide a superior 4G network.”
Sandeep Girotra, Vice President and Head of India Region, Nokia Networks, said: “We are happy to expand our TD-LTE footprint with Bharti and partner with them to deploy India’s first FDD-LTE in six new circles. Our rich experience gained in deploying FDD-LTE and TD-LTE to operators around the globe will ensure a fast and smooth network rollout. On top of that, our Flexi Zone** solution will ensure the best possible LTE performance even in dense areas.”
Did you know?
The continuing demand for ever more mobile capacity is driven largely by growing use of video. As people from all walks of life start to use media more intensively, another issue is their continually rising expectations of throughput and service – by 2020, a typical mobile user can consume 1 GB of data per day. LTE provides a foundation to meet these challenging demands. Nokia is a leader in the commercialization and innovation of LTE and LTE-Advanced, with 162 LTE and TD-LTE network customers worldwide.
- Blog: Brilliant LTE display at Busan Fireworks festival in Korea
- Webinar: Grow capacity
- Datasheet: Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station, Flexi Zone
- YouTube: Nokia Single RAN Advanced – The future just got simpler
- Insight newsletter: How to make LTE-A even more advanced
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: mobile broadband, LTE, 4G, FDD-LTE, network modernization, small cells, flexi zone
About Bharti Airtel
Bharti Airtel Limited is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 20 countries across Asia and Africa. Headquartered in New Delhi, India, the company ranks amongst the top 4 mobile service providers globally in terms of subscribers. In India, the company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce, fixed line services, high speed DSL broadband, IPTV, DTH, enterprise services including national & international long distance services to carriers. In the rest of the geographies, it offers 2G, 3G wireless services and mobile commerce. Bharti Airtel had over 307 million customers across its operations at the end of November 2014. To know more please visit, www.airtel.com
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. http://networks.nokia.com/ // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +91 9810413703
Phone: +358 7140 02869
Manager – Corporate Communications
Phone: +91 9810774745
* India’s telecommunications market is divided into 22 sub-regions, also referred to as circles.
** Nokia Flexi Zone enables operators to increase capacity by deploying clusters of access points in hot spots and zones. The award-winning Flexi Zone is an LTE/Wi-Fi-capable solution which complements macro networks with an underlay of small cells at the street and indoor level. This provides significant performance benefits, macro co-existence, traffic offloading, simplified backhauling and low O&M impact so that operators can provide a remarkably rich customer experience in urban capacity problem areas while keeping the total cost of ownership much lower than traditional small-cell deployments.
*** Nokia Networks’ compact, multi-technology, modular and weatherproof Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station is also an award winner and supports a throughput of 10 Gbps. It enables energy-efficient base station sites with an 80% improvement in power consumption compared to traditional cabinet-based sites.
– See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/bharti-airtel-nokia-networks-to-launch-ultrafast-4g-services-in-india-s-first-fdd-lte-on-1#sthash.XNWuXhAn.dpuf