- Users can download a full-length 5 GB HD movie in just 11 seconds and simultaneously upload a 30 MB video in less than a second
- The trio sets industry benchmark at 300+ Mbps uplink with 3.8 Gbps downlink
- Uses commercial Nokia Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station with LTE-Advanced carrier aggregation software
Doha, Qatar – 07 December 2014
At the ITU Telecom World 2014, Nokia Networks, Ooredoo Qatar and China Mobile showcased a record-breaking speed of 4.1 Gbps over TDD-FDD LTE. Supported by the Global TD-LTE Initiative, the speed was achieved by combining TDD- and FDD-LTE spectrums and aggregating 10 carriers with 200 MHz bandwidth*.
At this speed, operators can match and exceed the expectations of even the most demanding mobile users who would be able to, for example, download a full-length 5 GB high-definition (HD) movie in just 11 seconds and simultaneously upload a 5-minute 30 MB video clip from a concert in less than a second.
The record was achieved using:
- Nokia Networks’ commercial Single RAN Advanced hardware
- including the Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station for high-capacity throughput
- Software to aggregate carriers on both TDD- and FDD-LTE spectrums
- LTE-Advanced Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) technology
Waleed Al Sayed, Chief Operating Officer, Ooredoo Qatar, said: “We are building the biggest, fastest network in Qatar, so that customers across the country can access next-generation wireless data services. We are very proud that the first-ever ITU Telecom World to be held in Qatar should showcase this record-breaking success with the support of Ooredoo. By deploying our advanced LTE network in Qatar, we are truly laying the foundation for the future.”
Madam Huang Yuhong, Deputy General Manager of China Mobile Research Institute and Secretary General of Global TD-LTE Initiative (GTI) said: “This groundbreaking throughput is a milestone that boosts our efforts as we drive the commercialization and globalization of TD-LTE and TDD-FDD converged technology across the globe. In collaboration with Nokia Networks, our long-standing and trusted partner, we continue to exploit the immense capacity potential of TD-LTE.”
Zhang Qi, vice president of TD-LTE at Nokia Networks, said: “We just broke our own speed record which shows our capability to help operators address the ever-increasing demand for faster data dowload and upload speeds. TDD-FDD LTE not only delivers high uplink and downlink throughput, but also helps balancing the load between two networks, efficiently using the spectrum.”
Did you know?
Nokia Networks was the first to show 8 MU-MIMO uplink and has deployed a number of TDD-FDD networks while working closely with 3GPP and operators to make TDD-FDD convergent networks a commercial reality. This demonstration pushes the boundaries of carrier aggregation by doubling the number of carriers and the amount of bandwidth specified by 3GPP, which foresees the aggregation of 5 carriers up to a total bandwidth of 100 MHz.
Click here for a photo of Nokia’s Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station that was used in this demonstration.
- Press releases:
On world’s first TDD-FDD CA
Original record-breaking 3.8 Gbps TDD-FDD LTE throughput
TDD-FDD carrier aggregation using commercial chipset devices.
- Blog: Nokia makes LTE-A CA faster everywhere
- Webinar: Grow capacity
- Datasheet: LTE
- Youtube: Nokia LTE-A Carrier Aggregation
- Insight newsletter: How to make LTE-A even more advanced
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS:LTE, TDD-FDD carrier aggregation, Nokia Networks, Ooredoo, China Mobile, mobile broadband
Ooredoo is Qatar’s leading communications company, delivering mobile, fixed, broadband internet and corporate managed services tailored to the needs of consumers and businesses. As a community-focused company, Ooredoo is guided by its vision of enriching people’s lives and its belief that it can stimulate human growth by leveraging communications to help people achieve their full potential. http://www.ooredoo.qa.
About China Mobile
China Mobile Communications Corporation (CMCC) was officially established on 16 May 2000with over 800 million subscribers. It has the largest network scale and subscriber base in the world, with international competitive advantage as well as high market value and brand value. It has been listed in Fortune Global 500 list for 14 consecutive years, ranking the 55th in 2014. http://www.chinamobileltd.com/en/global/home.php
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. networks.nokia.com // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +91 95388 90288
Phone: +358 7140 02869
For all media enquiries, please contact the Media Centre:
* Operators can combine their TDD- and FDD-LTE spectrum resources to increase downlink and uplink capacity for data-intensive applications such as video streaming, and they can balance the traffic load between TDD and FDD to make even more efficient use of their spectrums. Uplink is important for mass events like sports events, festivals, and concerts where a sudden increase in uploaded videos and photos can increase traffic by 40 times.
– See more at: http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-ooredoo-qatar-china-mobile-achieve-41-gbps-speed-with-tdd-fdd-carrier-aggre#sthash.mBTwswqr.dpuf