Explosive, Sustained Demand for Mobile Applications Underscores Need for Fast, Reliable, Scalable Core Infrastructure
AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS--(Marketwired - Jun 24, 2014) - Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that EE, the U.K.'s largest mobile network operator, has completed the migration to its new national IP/MPLS core network which underpins the delivery of 4G services built using Juniper Networks® MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers.
EE pioneered the U.K.'s first superfast 4G mobile services in October 2012 and also uses the network to provide 3G services to approximately 30 million connections on EE, T-Mobile and Orange plans, as well as through MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators). EE's 4G coverage today reaches 72 percent of the U.K. population, with 3G coverage reaching 98 percent of the population.
In the 19 months since its launch, EE has signed up 3.6 million 4G subscribers, with sales of 4G plans now outstripping 3G. With a fast rate of customer adoption, the network had to be underpinned by an MPLS platform capable of providing carrier-class high-performance at scale, in order to deliver a consistently excellent end user experience.
- The implementation of a new high-performance multi-service core using Juniper Networks SDN-ready MX Series Universal Edge Routers was straightforward, easily-managed and fitted neatly into EE's ongoing platform consolidation agenda and long term network vision.
- The decision to select Juniper for this latest project took into account the proven performance of its solutions and Junos® operating system over the more than 12 years that EE and its parent companies have used Juniper equipment in multiple fixed and mobile networks deployments around the world.
- The proven ability of the Juniper Networks Universal Edge portfolio to increase automation and deliver innovative services at scale (for example, EE bringing new MVNOs online; managing multi-service IP interconnects with other service providers) gave EE the confidence to select the MX Series as part of this strategic investment initiative, which is key for achieving its long-term business objectives.
"As the first mobile operator to launch LTE in the U.K., EE had to ensure that the quality of the 4G service was of the highest standard. We now predict 97 percent of our customer base will be using 4G devices by 2018, largely because of the positive experience our network has delivered.
"The MX Series from Juniper has a strong track record with proven investment protection. The Universal Edge provides EE with all the capacity and performance head-room that we need in the medium term and has a strong development roadmap, so our investment is sound."
- Peter O'Donnell, head of Transport Network Design and Planning, EE
"People are reliant on mobile devices, applications and services -- and they have built up expectations of even faster downloads and high-quality application performance from 4G/LTE-enabled networks. EE chose to build a High-IQ Network using the MX Series at the Universal Edge to meet that demand while creating a sustainable business model that monetizes its investment effectively."
- Sean Dolan, senior vice president, EMEA, Juniper Networks
About Juniper Networks in Routing
Juniper Networks was born from a willingness to challenge conventional thinking. Our routing solutions are the result of some of the industry's most groundbreaking innovations across every aspect of networking technology: in silicon, systems and software. They continue to be the industry benchmark for performance, scale and rapid services deployment, giving customers a competitive advantage as they set out to build the best networks on the planet.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
+44 (0) 1372 385 692