National Consumer Protection Week March 2-8
Feb 24, 2014
MONROE, La., Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE:CTL, news, filings) is dedicated to protecting its customers’ Internet experience and, timed with National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW) March 2-8, is providing a list of recommended Internet security tips to promote safe Internet use. The goal of NCPW is to encourage consumers to take full advantage of their consumer rights and make better-informed decisions.
“The Internet has expanded the capabilities of individuals to engage in fraudulent schemes, which is why we felt it was important to offer protection tips in order to raise awareness of safe online practices,” said Dave Mahon, vice president and chief security officer at CenturyLink. “This information will help customers reduce computer infections, avoid responding to fraudulent emails and help them maintain strong Internet security.”
Eight tips to increase Internet security
- Replace “simple” passwords (e.g.,1234 or “password”) with alpha-numeric and symbol passwords and enable additional security questions when available.
- Never post personal info in chat rooms or agree to engage in offline chats or meetings.
- Do not share contact info on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or similar posts or profiles.
- Always make sure that your PC or Mac system software is up to date.
- Review your security settings before connecting to public Wi-Fi and limit what you do on Wi-Fi.
- Make sure your antivirus software is automatically updated and runs regular scans on all of your operating systems to protect against new threats, which may lead to identity fraud.
- Be wary of emails with attachments or embedded links from unknown sources.
- Scan hard disk(s) at least twice monthly to detect and remove unauthorized remote controls.
The official website of National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW), NCPW.gov, offers consumers additional tips and information from federal and state government and non-profit partner organizations.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by technology industry analyst firms. The company is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and hosted IT solutions for enterprise customers. CenturyLink provides data, voice and managed services in local, national and select international markets through its high-quality advanced fiber optic network and multiple data centers for businesses and consumers. The company also offers advanced entertainment services under the CenturyLink® Prism™ TV and DIRECTV brands. Headquartered in Monroe, La., CenturyLink is an S&P 500 company and is included among the Fortune 500 list of America’s largest corporations. For more information, visit www.centurylink.com.
SOURCE CenturyLink, Inc.
For further information: Mark Molzen, 602-716-3389, email@example.com