Paris, January 23, 2014 – Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced that it has been named the leading vendor of content delivery network (CDN) equipment to pay TV operators and other network operators who offer over-the-top (OTT) and multiscreen digital media content delivery services.
In its OTT and Multiscreen CDN Vendor Global Market Leaders report, analyst firm SNL Kagan MRG studied the leading vendors of CDN equipment and ranked them according to the total amount of traffic managed by their installed base. Alcatel-Lucent is ranked as number one.
- The new report from SNL Kagan MRG recognizes the growing number of network service providers deploying CDN equipment within their networks (known as “on-net” CDNs) as opposed to using a CDN service from a third party (“off-net” CDNs).
- On-net CDNs have the advantage of giving operators complete control over how they prioritize and deliver traffic on their networks, lowering network transportation costs for the operator and ensuring higher video quality for their subscribers.
- A CDN caches copies of content that uses the most bandwidth – notably films and TV programs – in servers distributed around a network. By using these copies instead of a single, central source, an operator can deliver the content more quickly to subscribers and with a better quality of experience.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s Velocix Content Delivery Network is currently used by some of the largest operators in the world, including Telus, Oi and Time Warner Cable, among others.
Paul Larbey, head of Alcatel-Lucent’s IP Video business: “We’re delighted to be recognized by SNL Kagan MRG as leading the on-net CDN market and their latest report is important for helping operators to understand the different ways of taking advantage of CDN technology and the merits of each. For operators looking to increase the reach of their own pay TV and video services and increase customer loyalty, on-net CDNs provide the best quality of experience and best return on investment.”
Norm Bogen, Director of Research at SNL Kagan MRG: “OTT and multiscreen technologies have had a tremendous impact on the traditional digital media video delivery industry structure. Operators now have a number of options with which to deploy CDN solutions and MRG believes that they will establish relationships with multiple vendors, mixing on-net with off-net solutions to best manage their own TV and video services as well as that content coming from OTT service providers.”
- OTT and Multiscreen Vendor Market Leaders, by Darryl Sterling, Norm Bogen, Multimedia Research Group.
- Alcatel-Lucent IP Video Solutions
- Alcatel-Lucent Velocix Content Delivery Network
- Velocix Transparent Cache
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world’s foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012’s Top 50 “World’s Most Innovative Companies”. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company’s mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.
PR Archives: Latest, By Company, By Date