New compact Optical Networking Edge platform extends scalable reliability for cloud, backhaul and broadband applications
HUNTSVILLE, Ala.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 21, 2013-- ADTRAN®, Inc., (NASDAQ:ADTN, news, filings), a leading provider of next-generation networking solutions, today announced the expansion of its award-winning Optical Networking Edge (ONE®) solution. The Total Access® 5004 ONE platform is a right-sized, access-optimized packet optical transport solution that provides service providers with a more versatile, highly-dense packaging design to help meet the growing needs of backhaul, business and residential customers. Available in a temperature-hardened, modular, compact two rack unit (RU) form factor, the new platform leverages the same ONE enterprise and broadband modules and software as ADTRAN’s premier Total Access 5000 platform. This capability enables services providers to easily, cost-effectively and seamlessly scale services and delivery footprint as the market continues to develop.
ADTRAN’s ONE solution suite provides the capacity upgrades desperately needed at the edge of the network by integrating key packet optical technologies into a single, common access and aggregation platform. This allows service providers to quickly and cost-effectively handle the network impact of future gigabit and 10G services growth. The ONE platform supports high service availability capabilities such as hardware redundancy and protection, resilient Ethernet, OTN and optical ring architectures and 1+1 carrier grade configurations. The compact solution, along with the higher capacity Total Access 5000, are supported by ADTRAN’s Advanced Operational Environment (AOE) services management, a non-service-affecting, portal-based tool to provide intuitive, proactive reporting on items such as SLA compliance, customer bandwidth and other performance statistics.
“Emerging applications, such as LTE-Advanced, high-capacity video and cloud services, are pushing packet optical technologies deeper into the access network to meet the mounting packet capacity requirements,” according to Rick Talbot, Principal Analyst, Optical Infrastructure, at Current Analysis. “The ADTRAN Total Access 5004 packaging of ADTRAN’s Optical Networking Edge (ONE) architecture combines high packet switching capacity with the broad service support of the ADTRAN Total Access 5000 family, making it well suited to meet the unique requirements of next-generation services access at the network edge.”
The Total Access 5004 ONE platform delivers up to 36 10Gigabit Ethernet or OTN ports, integrated DWDM modules and multiple 1GE ports in 2RU form-factor. It also supports mini-ROADM and migration to 100G networking. Thus, providing service providers with the deployment flexibility and network scalability required to effectively address these diverse market segments:
- Fiber service delivery with more flexible, scalable deployment options. Service providers are pushing deep fiber closer to the home as a way to meet residential consumers’ desire for more bandwidth. As a space-sensitive and temperature-hardened solution, the Total Access 5004 offers carriers the most flexibility to address this service delivery challenge, as well as greater network scalability so that service providers can stay ahead of bandwidth demand.
- Business Carrier Ethernet Service delivery with high availability. In order to address business customers’ demand for more bandwidth and service providers looking at delivering fiber-based services to multi-tenant business buildings, the TA5004 ONE is ideal to delivering redundant, scalable 1G and 10G services while minimizing total cost and fiber requirements.
- Cloud computing and data applications requiring a substantial amount of bandwidth to access and store data across an organization. Although highly compact, this new platform can scale to deliver hundreds of services over simplified multi-service delivery options, including the flexibility to transport simultaneous SONET/SDH, Ethernet, Fibre Channel and more.
- Latency-sensitive applications demanding strict service assurance. The Total Access 5004 is MEF-compliant, supporting scalable service separation functions to ensure quality-of-service across parallel applications and guarantee the ultra-low latency and high availability required to support strict service level agreements (SLAs).
- Simplified SONET/SDH to Ethernet network migration with the convergence of legacy services and next-generation aggregation and transport networks. The solution allows for existing SONET/SDH traffic to be merged onto a next-generation agile architecture allowing for obsolete platforms to be effectively retired and greater network flexibility to respond to shifts in traffic demands.
“From the start, ADTRAN’s ONE solution has been designed to reduce the complexity of packet optical networking to help service providers increase flexibility and simplify operations so that they can accelerate next-generation service delivery for their customers,” said Mano Nachum, packet optical networking product line manager, ADTRAN’s Carrier Networks Division. “Now with the availability of the Total Access 5004, we extend all the scalable reliability benefits of the ONE solution to additional network edge and access deployment models.”
ADTRAN, Inc. is a leading global provider of networking and communications equipment. ADTRAN’s products enable voice, data, video and Internet communications across a variety of network infrastructures. ADTRAN solutions are currently in use by service providers, private enterprises, government organizations, and millions of individual users worldwide. For more information, please visit www.adtran.com.
Source: ADTRAN, Inc.
Connect2 Communications for
Ashley Baster, 919-435-9112