International network supports 100GE services; reinforces long-standing relationship
HANOVER, Md.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced that GTS Central Europe, a leading provider of integrated telecommunications solutions and data center services throughout Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), has deployed Ciena’s converged packet optical solutions to upgrade its international network to 100G. The deployment will provide improved scalability, capacity and low latency to support the growing high-bandwidth requirements of GTS’ enterprise and government customers as well as 100GE backbone services to enable efficient connectivity for carriers and content providers to their regional networks.
- GTS owns and operates an extensive fiber optic and data center network throughout the CEE region, providing a full range of services that ranges from basic voice and data, to complex virtual private networks and managed cloud environments. It targets global corporations, carriers and public institutions needing infrastructure services throughout the CEE region.
- After successfully testing Ciena’s solutions, GTS selected the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform with WaveLogic 3 Coherent Optical Processors to provide 100G capacity along its high-traffic routes in Poland, Czech Republic and Germany.
- An important feature of Ciena’s 6500 leveraged in this deployment is the ability to support 100GE services in addition to unregenerated 100G wavelengths over distances of 1400 kms on GTS’ transport network.
- This deployment builds upon a long-standing relationship between Ciena and GTS, which has already deployed Ciena’s4200 Family, CoreStream Agility Optical Transport System and packet networking products throughout its network.
- “By deploying Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, GTS can continue to deliver on our commitment to provide the latest technologies and innovative solutions for our business customers. Ciena’s converged packet optical technology allows us to provide capacity and latency improvements to our international networks, and support bandwidth-intensive services and enterprise applications.”
– Sunny Kumar, vice president of marketing and business development at GTS
- “As a long-term partner to GTS, we have experienced with them the increasing need for high-capacity networks in the Central and Eastern European region. Future-proofing for this demand requires not only additional capacity, but also a cost-efficient infrastructure that enables telecom operators to support the service offerings their customers demand. With our converged packet optical solutions, GTS’ upgraded network will do just that to meet the growing transport and latency sensitive needs of their customers in the CEE region and beyond.”
– Nick Walden, regional managing director, Northern Europe at Ciena
- Ciena’s OPn network architecture for building next-gen networks combines optical and packet networking with software programmability and open interfaces.
- Architected for network modernization, Ciena’s 6500 converges comprehensive Ethernet, TDM and WDM capabilities into a single platform to support cost-effective delivery of emerging and existing services—from the access edge to the backbone core.
- Ciena was recently named as the worldwide leader in Optical Packet Platforms in the recent Optical Transport Quarterly Report issued by analyst firm Dell’Oro Group.
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with 24,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to over 150 customers across the globe, with nearly 25 million coherent kilometers deployed.
- Application Note: Enabling a Bigger and Smarter Network with Ciena’s WaveLogic 3
- Product Overview: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- White Paper: OPn Network Architecture
GTS Central Europe is a leading infrastructure-based provider of telecommunications services in Central and Eastern Europe. GTS owns and operates an extensive fiber optic and data center network throughout the region. In the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Slovakia, the company combines its regional footprint with deep local networks to deliver a broad range of services. From basic voice and data to complex virtual private networks and cloud services, GTS assembles the latest technology with its extensive network to provide industry-leading customer solutions. With a strong operating history of nearly 20 years in CEE, the company is committed to providing service excellence and value to its nearly 38,000 business, carrier and government customers. For more information, please visit us at www.gtsce.com.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with OPn, its approach for building open next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, other announcements and, from time to time, exclusively post material information as with the other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 12, 2013. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.