BELLEVUE, Wash., May 2, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Clearwire Corporation, (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of 4G wireless broadband services in the U.S., announced today that the company's annual report on SEC form 10-K/A for the year ended December 31, 2012 is now available online. Shareholders and others may view and download a copy of the annual report by visiting Clearwire's investor relations site, http://corporate.clearwire.com/sec.cfm
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ: CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of 4G wireless broadband services offering services in areas of the U.S. where more than 130 million people live. The company holds the deepest portfolio of wireless spectrum available for data services in the U.S. Clearwire serves retail customers through its own CLEAR® brand as well as through wholesale relationships with some of the leading companies in the retail, technology and telecommunications industries, including Sprint and NetZero. The company is constructing a next-generation 4G LTE Advanced-ready network to address the capacity needs of the market, and is also working closely with the Global TDD-LTE Initiative to further the TDD-LTE ecosystem. Clearwire is headquartered in Bellevue, Wash. Additional information is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contain forward-looking statements which are based on management's current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management's expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words "will," "would," "may," "should," "estimate," "project," "forecast," "intend," "expect," "believe," "target," "designed," "plan" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward-looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire's control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- Our business has become increasingly dependent on our wholesale partners, and Sprint in particular. Additionally, our current business plans depend on our ability to attract new wholesale partners with substantial requirements for additional data capacity, which is subject to a number of risks and uncertainties. If we do not receive the amount of revenues we expect from existing wholesale partners or if we are unable to enter into new agreements with additional wholesale partners for significant new wholesale commitments in a timely manner, our business prospects, results of operations and financial condition could be adversely affected, or we could be forced to consider all available alternatives, including financial restructuring.
- If the proposed merger with Sprint fails to close for any reason, we believe that we will require substantial additional capital to fund our business and to further develop our network; such capital may not be available on acceptable terms or at all. If the merger fails to close and the funding under our Note Purchase Agreement with Sprint was no longer available, we would have to significantly curtail substantially all of our LTE network build plan to conserve cash and there would likely be substantial doubt about our ability to continue as a going concern for the next twelve months. Additionally, if the proposed merger with Sprint fails to close and we are unable to obtain sufficient additional capital, or we fail to generate sufficient revenue from our businesses to meet our ongoing obligations, our business prospects, financial condition and results of operations will likely be materially and adversely affected, and we will be forced to consider all available alternatives, including financial restructuring.
- We have a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business. Further, unless we are able to secure the required shareholder approvals to increase the number of authorized shares under our Certificate of Incorporation, we may not have enough authorized but unissued shares available to raise sufficient additional capital through an equity financing.
- Sprint owns a majority of our common shares, is our largest shareholder, and may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Our proposed merger with Sprint is subject to certain regulatory conditions that may not be satisfied on a timely basis, or at all, and is also conditioned on the consummation of the Sprint-Softbank (or a similar merger) transaction. If the merger with Sprint fails because it is not adopted by our shareholders, then under certain circumstances Sprint may gain significant additional control over us by acquiring the Clearwire shares held by other parties to our Equityholders' Agreement, pursuant to the terms of an agreement with those other shareholders. Additionally, failure to complete the proposed merger could negatively impact our business and the market price of our Class A Common Stock, and substantial doubt may arise regarding our ability to continue as a going concern.
- We are in the early stages of deploying LTE on our wireless broadband network, alongside mobile WiMAX, to remain competitive and to generate sufficient revenues for our business; we will incur significant costs to deploy such technology. Additionally, LTE technology, or other alternative technologies that we may consider, may not perform as we expect on our network and deploying such technologies would result in additional risks to the company, including uncertainty regarding our ability to successfully add a new technology to our current network and to operate dual technology networks without disruptions to customer service, as well as our ability to generate new wholesale customers for the new network.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks, and are dependent on commercial partners to deliver equipment and devices for our planned LTE network as well.
- Many of our competitors for our retail business are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 14, 2013, and subsequent SEC filings. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
CONTACT: Investor Relations: Alice Ryder, 425-505-6494 email@example.com Media Relations: Susan Johnston, 425-505-6178 firstname.lastname@example.org JLM Partners for Clearwire: Mike DiGioia or Jeremy Pemble, 206-381-3600 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org