Workshop Provides University Students With Hands-On Experience With Software Defined Networking Tools and Innovations Around the Programmable Network
SUNNYVALE, CA--(Marketwire - Aug 13, 2012) - Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, with the AT&T Foundry®, today announced a university workshop and software development hackathon being offered through the AT&T Foundry® and Juniper's OpenLab - The Junos® Center for Innovation. The week-long event will be hosted at the AT&T Foundry® in Texas, in conjunction with the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Texas at Dallas starting on August 13, 2012.
The workshop and competitive challenge is designed to provide next-generation software developers access to the tools and guidance needed to design new innovations for programmable networks. The workshop will give university students hands-on experience with concepts around software defined networking (SDN) and channel their interest in technology to help solve real-world challenges in the networking industry and unlock new opportunities.
- The SDN-themed workshop, utilizing elements from Juniper Networks' Academic Alliances (JNAA) Program, will be the first of two workshops that will focus on giving students an overview of the AT&T Foundry® and a corporate overview of Juniper Networks in addition to providing them with several days of training on Juniper's programmable network assets such as the Junos SDK and Junos Space Platform.
- During the workshop students will build an application on top of the Juniper Networks® Junos Space SDK to monitor real-time traffic, aggregate and produce data for operator reports, in addition to dynamically provision network elements based on the mined data.
- At the end of the workshop, students will compete in a hackathon, presenting and demonstrating their application to AT&T and Juniper representatives. Prizes will be awarded to the students based on solution innovation.
- The University of Texas at Dallas will play a prominent role via the delivery of entrepreneurial content with the objective of fostering the spirit of innovation among students and promoting an entrepreneurial culture.
- A second workshop and competitive challenge with a similar agenda will be held at Juniper's OpenLab facility in New Jersey in the fall.
"AT&T Foundry® is focused on generating new ideas and we foster a culture of innovation. We are excited to join with Juniper Networks and co-sponsor these workshops, which we believe will help students get first-hand insight on the inner-workings of the networking industry and broaden their knowledge on software-defined networking."
-Mike Berry, director of operations, AT&T Foundry®
"At Juniper, we are deeply committed to innovation and we understand that the impact of software-defined networking stretches beyond the network to applications that depend on them. Through these workshops we hope to drive and facilitate collaboration and education, accelerate new network-integrated applications for our connected society and build software intensive applications that can help overcome some of the shortcomings in today's legacy networks."
-Judy Beningson, general manager and vice president, Management and Virtualization Platforms Group, Juniper Networks
"We are pleased to have joined with leading technology companies such as Juniper Networks and AT&T to help us develop next-generation leaders. We strongly believe that workshops such as these, which are competitive in nature, provide students a chance to improve their skill set, understand their strengths and encourage team work while working on today's leading technologies."
- Dr. Joseph C. Picken, executive director, The Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Texas at Dallas
- Juniper Networks Academic Alliances Program
- Juniper Networks OpenLab
- Juniper on Twitter
- Juniper on Facebook
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.