Ukraine operator rolls out Ciena’s 100G across its network to provide high-bandwidth services to wholesale and enterprise customers
LINTHICUM, Md., U.S.A., and KIEV, Ukraine — 08/13/2012
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, and the Ukrainian telecoms operator Eurotranstelecom (ETT®), today announced the nationwide rollout of Ciena’s 100G coherent optical technology in ETT’s backbone network. Based on Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, ETT’s high-capacity network supports the operator’s customers’ increasing requirement for high-speed connectivity both to and across Ukraine. The project is an extension of the first 100G link in Eastern Europe that the two companies deployed in 2011.
- ETT has chosen Ciena as the exclusive supplier of the 100Gigabit/s solution for its nationwide optical DWDM network. The move enables the carrier to better meet the needs of its customer base by quickly reacting to current and future bandwidth demands and reliably offering the highest capacity services available on the market today.
- With this deployment, ETT has effectively extended its original 100G network connecting Kiev and Kharkov to cover all major Ukrainian regional centers including Lvov, Donetsk, Odessa, and Dnepropetrovsk, as well as providing high-speed support for traffic from European, Ukrainian and Russian operators.
- Powered by the WaveLogic™ coherent optical processors, Ciena’s optical backbone enables ETT to operate 10G, 40G and 100G channels simultaneously, and provides the carrier with the opportunity to seamlessly upgrade to higher capacities as bandwidth requirements on its network change in the future. This flexibility helps ETT keep its operational costs in check while ensuring cost-per-bit efficiencies that can be directly transferred to the operator’s carrier and enterprise customers.
- “Over the last year, Ciena’s 100G solution has proven its value in the field, successfully powering the Kiev-Kharkov link on our network, and when time came to roll out the high-capacity technology across the board, Ciena’s solution again came to the top of the list. Ciena’s coherent optical technology has not only provided us with a smooth and rapid transition to 100G – without the need for a costly and complicated network redesign – but also helped us reach more attractive benchmarks for total cost of ownership and per-bit cost of data transport over our backbone network. These benefits directly translate into a competitive advantage in the aggressive market environment we are operating in.”
– Vitalii Karazei, CEO at Eurotranstelecom
- “ETT’s rollout of Ciena’s 100G solution across its network is an important validation for the performance and reliability of our technology. As 100G adoption gathers momentum globally, large, demand-driven deployments such as this one are also testament to the bandwidth explosion that the Russia/CIS region is going through at the moment. With the growing adoption of high-bandwidth applications such as cloud computing, high-capacity networks are becoming more instrumental than ever before in allowing operators to meet the requirements of their customers.”
– Sergei Fishkin, Regional Managing Director, Russia, CIS and the Baltics at Ciena
Technology Leadership and Product Background:
- The pioneer and market leader in coherent technology for optical transmission, Ciena offered the industry’s first commercially-available systems—with coherent 40G deployed since 2008 and coherent 100G since 2009. To date, Ciena has shipped over 16,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces to more than 100 customers across the globe, with more than 15 million coherent kilometres deployed.
Supporting Resources and Multimedia:
- Coherent Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Video: Chalk talk: Coherent Optical Networking
- White Paper: Key Technology Enablers of 100 Gb/s in Carrier Networks
LLC Eurotranstelecom (www.ett.ua) is an alternative operator in Ukraine, which provides wholesale services to Ukranian and Easter Europeans markets. Eurotranstelecom has its own fiber-optical cable network which is laid in the ground along railways in Ukraine and covers all major regions in Ukraine. The operator has its own national DWDM, SDH and IP/ MPLS networks. and offers IP transit, data and voice transmission, lambda services, collocation, dark fiber renting and maintenance services to its clients.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 6, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(888) 243 6223
+44 (0) 20 7012 5584
+1 (214) 995-8035