Metro networks address rising demand for capacity and resilience; Deployment reinforces strategic partnership and leadership in coherent 100G technology
LINTHICUM, Md.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Ciena® Corporation (CIEN), the network specialist, announced today that it has been selected by Cable&Wireless Worldwide to deploy high-capacity metropolitan networks in two key Asian commercial centres, Hong-Kong and Singapore. Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, equipped with WaveLogic™ Coherent Optical Processors and supporting coherent 100G and mesh networking, provides CWW with a highly flexible and resilient commercial solution that meets the integrated communications and data hosting services deployment timelines.
- The rapid migration to 100G with Ciena’s 6500 platform allows CWW to extract more capacity out of existing fibre optic cables, facilitating the transport of today’s increasingly bandwidth-hungry applications while improving network economics.
- The live metro networks are based on mesh architecture, allowing CWW to offer its customers superior network resiliency and service flexibility, and meet service level agreement (SLA) requirements. It also ensures that the CWW network can scale to meet future capacity demands across the region.
- Ciena deployed an expert engineering and consultative approach throughout the project, working closely with the carrier to develop a deployment strategy for the key regional networks and meet the timelines required to support the CWW’s growing presence and competitive position in Asia.
- The project included planning for services supported by CWW’s current metro ring architectures, which are based on Ciena’s 4200 Advanced Services Platform, ensuring a smooth upgrade to 100G and seamless transition for existing customers as the carrier continues its move toward its next-generation mesh networks.
- “Hong Kong and Singapore are both dynamic markets experiencing an explosive demand for bandwidth. Cable&Wireless Worldwide is committed to being ahead of the curve with the most reliable, flexible and scalable network infrastructure that will fuel the success of our enterprise customers in those markets. We have partnered with Ciena to allow us to rapidly launch high-capacity services, remaining ahead of the competition and securing key enterprise customers.”
– Gavin Tait, director, network planning and implementation, Asia, Cable&Wireless Worldwide
- “The deployment of 100G by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in both Hong Kong and Singapore demonstrates enterprise demand for high-capacity in metro and regional networks, a trend that will only increase with the continued rise and success of innovative content and media companies. As the leading provider of coherent optical technology worldwide, Ciena has years of real-world experience in 100G technology and deployments – ensuring a smooth and speedy migration path for Cable&Wireless Worldwide. Ciena’s next-generation optical networks will not only support the rapid increase in traffic taking place today, but scale to 400G and beyond, fuelling the ambitions of Cable&Wireless Worldwide’s carrier and enterprise customers.”
– Philippe Morin, senior vice president, global field operations, Ciena
- The pioneer and market leader in coherent technology for optical transmission, Ciena offered the industry’s first commercially-available systems—with coherent 40G deployed since 2008 and coherent 100G since 2009. To date, Ciena has shipped over 14,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces to more than 100 customers across the globe, with more than 13 million coherent kilometres deployed.
- Ciena was identified by service providers as the #1 vendor in 40G/100G technology, next-generation packet-optical transport systems, and optical transmission and switching systems in general, in the 2011 Optical Equipment Features and Vendor Leadership Service Provider Surveyfrom Infonetics Research.
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- White Paper: Enabling Bigger and Smarter Networks with WaveLogic 3
- Product Brochure: 4200: Redefining the Service-Enabled Optical Network
- Video: Coherent Optical Processing
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Blog: Proving That 100G is Real Today
- Infonetics Survey: Global Service Providers Identify Optical Equipment Leaders
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visitwww.ciena.com.
About Cable&Wireless Worldwide
Cable&Wireless Worldwide (CW.L) provides integrated communications and data hosting services to large enterprises and mid-market customers in both the public and private sectors. With an unrivalled heritage and a globally significant network Cable&Wireless Worldwide can provide secure, robust and resilient connectivity to over 150 countries.
To find out more, visit www.cw.com
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 8, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.