SSE Telecoms selects Ciena as exclusive vendor of high-capacity coherent optical networking for better network performance and lower power costs
READING, UK and LINTHICUM, Md., U.S.A. — 05/17/2012
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced the UK’s fourth largest asset owning telecoms operator, SSE Telecoms, has selected Ciena’s coherent 100 Gb/s optical networking technology as the exclusive solution for deployment in its UK national network. By utilising Ciena’s WaveLogic™ coherent optical processors, the 100 Gb/s network, which is operational, can now connect the operator’s main data centres and enable a far more efficient provisioning of high-capacity services.
- SSE Telecoms, a strategic business unit of SSE plc (formerly Scottish and Southern Energy)– the UK’s second largest energy supplier and one of the FTSE 100 companies – is deploying Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform equipped with WaveLogic coherent optical processors to connect its key data centre locations across Britain. The high-capacity links, already deployed and operational, connect SSE Telecoms’ sites in Manchester and Hampshire to the Global Switch 2 data centre located in London’s Docklands.
- The 100 Gb/s deployment is an extension of SSE Telecoms’ existing Ciena-powered network backbone, based on the 6500 platform. The newly-deployed 100 Gb/s channels add to the existing mix of 10G and 40G channels and run alongside them, ensuring optimal use of the optical spectrum for SSE Telecoms.
- By introducing 100 Gb/s technology into its network, SSE Telecoms continues to push the boundaries of network reach and performance, enabling customers to achieve high-capacity optical networking. The 100 Gb/s network enables SSE Telecoms to offer both 10G and 100G services to its customers, while ensuring low latency, guaranteeing high availability, reducing power consumption by 46 percent and footprint by 70 percent when compared to a traditional architecture based on 10G technology.
- The pioneer and market leader in coherent technology for optical transmission, Ciena has to date shipped over 14,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces to more than 120 customers across the globe, with nearly 13 million coherent kilometres deployed worldwide.
- “SSE Telecoms’ customers expect the most reliable, innovative and flexible connectivity solutions, and so we are always striving to develop a network that reflects these expectations. We have identified Ciena’s platform as industry-leading in terms of quality and service delivery, a quality that is vital for SSE Telecoms market requirements. This network enhancement will develop our existing product capability and allow customers to develop specific network requirements that are to the best quality available. Our strategy to specialise and drive high capacity network requirements means that with the Ciena platform we are able to provide customers with an exciting proposition.”
– Mark Corney, Director of Sales and Development, SSE Telecoms
- “With the adoption of cloud computing services gaining momentum, high-capacity networks have become a true enabler of these game-changing applications – and a requirement for cloud computing to deliver on its promise. Delivering improved performance and better network running economics, Ciena’s 100G solution deployed in SSE Telecoms’ network allows the operator to ride this next wave of growth and support it in an efficient and cost effective way, while creating a seamless evolution path for its infrastructure.”
– Peter Newcombe, Vice President of Sales, Northern and Eastern Europe, Ciena
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- White Paper: Key Technology Enablers of 100 Gb/s in Carrier Networks
- Video: Coherent Optical Processing
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
About SSE Telecoms
SSE Telecoms owns and operates one of the largest telecoms networks which spans the entire UK, specialising in high capacity next generation Ethernet, optical wavelengths and bespoke dark fibre solutions.
We are an innovative facilities based provider of network infrastructure and data services, and offer bespoke network solutions for all your business requirements.
With an extensive portfolio of Layer 2 connectivity and a flexible approach to network configuration, we are able to react efficiently to your requests, providing prompt responses to quotations, delivery schedules and quick, live provision of services.
SSE Telecoms operates a UK-wide telecoms network of over 11,000km. This network provides capacity and bandwidth services for companies, public sector organisations, internet service providers, application service providers and other license operators.
As a result, SSE Telecoms is the fourth largest asset owning Telecoms Company in the UK. To complement its core telecoms network business, the company acquired a Hampshire-based data centre business in 2009.
To find out more about SSE Telecoms, visit www.ssetelecoms.com.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 8, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(888) 243 6223
+1 (214) 995-8035
+44 (0) 207012 5584