By Using the ICT Infrastructure as a “Living Laboratory”, AGH’s Computer Science Center Is Becoming One of the Most Modern Education Facilities in Europe
KRAKOW, Poland, May 17, 2012 – Cisco today announced that AGH University of Science and Technology in Krakow is utilizing the latest networking and higher education technologies to create one of Europe’s most modern education facilities. The new seat of the Computer Science Faculty is also one of Poland’s first “living laboratories,” where the IT infrastructure can be used for demonstration and education purposes. AGH students will be able to familiarize themselves with state-of-the-art technologies, including network-based video communication, data center, wireless networks, virtualization and cloud computing.
With 36,000 students, AGH is Poland’s largest technical university. It offers 52 branches of study, including 200 specializations. The university cooperates with hundreds of business and industry players.
Key facts, highlights:
- At the heart of the new Computer Science Faculty building is a state-of-the-art Cisco® campus network, as well as a new data center based on Cisco Unified Computing System™ technology. The campus network was implemented based on the latest design guidelines for the Cisco Borderless Network Architecture.
- In line with the latest trends of using video more and more pervasively in education, the AGH Computer Science Center is using video capabilities to offer digital content and remote education for participants in distant locations. Auditoria and lecture halls are equipped with a Cisco TelePresence® infrastructure, including codecs and digital interfaces for video conferencing, and a Cisco TelePresence Profile dual-screen video conference terminal deployed in a smaller conference room environment.
- The faculty is also using the Cisco Show and Share® webcasting and video-sharing application, which enables the recording, simple editing and publishing of multimedia materials. With Show and Share®, the university is able to build highly secure communities to share ideas through user-generated video content.
- Cisco Digital Signage was implemented to take advantage of the network platform to publish and manage interactive content. Students, lecturers and visitors can get information about the faculty, planned seminars, information on lectures and schedules through displays placed across the building and managed through the network.
- The faculty’s network infrastructure also allows students to learn about virtualization and cloud computing through practice. There are virtual desktops installed in the laboratories and connected with the Cisco UCS™ server-based cloud.
- A wireless network consisting of 40 Cisco Aironet® 3500e Access Points is covering the entire facility and is available for employees, students and guests. It features Cisco CleanAir® technology, which significantly increased its robustness and resilience to interferences.
- Professor Krzysztof Zielinski, Ph.D. Eng., head of AGH Computer Science Faculty
“Cooperation with Cisco and the use of the ‘living laboratory’ model in the Computer Science Center will allow AGH students to familiarize themselves with the latest networking technology solutions now available on the market. They will have a unique opportunity to work in a model IT environment, based on technologies used in the world’s leading enterprises.”
- Dariusz Fabiszewski, general manager, Cisco Poland
“AGH is one of the cornerstones of Krakow’s education environment, with great impact on the region’s investment attractiveness, especially in the area of technologies. Ventures such as the construction of the AGH Computer Science Center both strengthen Krakow’s scientific standing and encourage high-tech companies to cooperate with the university.”
Tags, Keywords: AGH Computer Science Center, Cisco, Poland
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
- Cisco Connected Learning for Higher Education: http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/education/higher_education.html
- Read more about AGH University at: http://www.agh.edu.pl/en
Cisco, (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. More information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Poland is provided by Cisco International Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Judit SinkoCisco Systems, Inc.+36 1 firstname.lastname@example.org
Investor Relations Contacts
- Matthew HardwickCisco Systems, Inc.+44 20 8824 email@example.com
Industry Analyst Relations
- Sharon RobinsonCisco Systems, Inc.+44 20 firstname.lastname@example.org