Ciena’s ultra low-latency technology, packet-optical transport and Carrier Ethernet switching give a competitive advantage for trans-Atlantic high-frequency trading
LINTHICUM, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN - News), the network specialist, today announced that Perseus Telecom, a global provider of connectivity, has selected Ciena’s equipment, software and services to build an end-to-end, ultra low-latency network between the U.S. and Europe. Combining metro networks in the global financial hubs of New York City, New Jersey, London and Frankfurt, as well as a trans-Atlantic submarine connection, the resulting ultra low-latency network enables Perseus to offer its customers one of the most direct and lowest latency services between the U.S. and Europe.
- Perseus is a global provider of telecommunications services with a special focus on ultra low-latency networks for financial services customers, including its recent announcement with Reliance Globalcom of QuanTA, an ultra low-latency trans-Atlantic network. QuanTA leverages the FLAG Atlantic-1 North cable (FA-1), owned by Reliance Globalcom, which became operational in 2001 and connects Long Island in the U.S. with Lands End in the U.K. via six pairs of optical fiber.
- Ciena’s 6500 packet-optical transport equipment will provide the trans-Atlantic submarine portion of the network with the capacity, reliability and ultra low-latency required to create an optimum platform for intercontinental high speed trading.
- To connect the financial centers in New York City, New Jersey, London and Frankfurt to QuanTA, Perseus Telecom has deployed Ciena’s 4200 Advanced Services Platform and Carrier Ethernet switching solutions in each city that are tuned as ultra low-latency access points to QuanTA and the global trading markets.
- To support its network build, Perseus has deployed Ciena’s 4200, 5150 Service Aggregation Switch and 6500 Packet Optical platform that together create an ultra low-latency end-to-end route from North America to Europe. Perseus will also leverage Ciena’s 100G WaveLogic 3solution as customer demands continue to evolve.
- “In working on our new QuanTA network, Ciena has been much more of a partner than just an equipment vendor as they worked with the Perseus research & design team in turning our vision and technical requirements into reality. Our ability to build and tune a network to exacting ultra low-latency requirements gives us a competitive advantage. Only Ciena could combine the advanced optical and Ethernet portfolio across both terrestrial and submarine applications with a specific end-to-end design around our ultra low-latency needs.”
- Andrew Kusminsky, Chief Operating Officer, Perseus Telecom
- “Perseus Telecom’s QuanTA network is a good example of how our focus on continued innovation in coherent and related technologies results in optical and Ethernet systems that can change the way network operators compete. By upgrading the landing stations, Perseus Telecom has taken an existing cable system and created an entirely new, cost-efficient service to meet the growing demand for ultra low-latency trading solutions across the Atlantic without having to lay new subsea cable.”
- Ed McCormack, Vice President and General Manager, Submarine Systems at Ciena
Technology Leadership and Product Background:
- Ciena has extensive experience designing and building low-latency network solutions for global financial services firms, stock markets, algorithmic and high frequency traders, as well as other financial market participants, using solutions ranging from private trading networks to data center interconnects, metro, long haul and submarine networks.
- The 4200 Advanced Services platform is an enhanced optical service delivery metro WDM platform that offers on-demand programmability and offers fully-optimized configurations for ultra-low latency applications.
- The 6500 Packet Optical platform is equipped with ultra low latency transponders to expand the capacity and reach of the existing cable with operational simplicity.
- The 5150 Service Aggregation Switch is part of a portfolio that combines intelligent devices and software to create low-touch, high-velocity Carrier Ethernet access and metro networks.
Supporting Ciena Resources:
- Video: Low Latency – The Competitive Difference for Financial Services Firms
- Application Note: Low-Latency, High-Performance Optical Networking Solutions
- Application Note: Submarine Solutions for an Increasingly Competitive Market
- Datasheet: 4200 Advanced Services Platform
- Datasheet: 5150 Service Aggregation Switch
- Ciena Insights: Low latency submarine networks: don't stop at the beach
About Perseus Telecom
Perseus Telecom is a global provider of telecommunications with a focus on ultra low-latency networks that works with the world’s leading fiber asset providers and technology owners to provide its clients with the right network solution at the right price. Perseus Telecom is able to access an extensive global infrastructure while ensuring that service-level solutions are also cost-effective. Perseus Telecom customers include; Banking, Finance and Fund Management Institutions, Broadcast Media and Entertainment Companies, Law Firms and Capital Partnerships, Global Manufacturers and Pharmaceutical Companies. Perseus Telecom’s management team has decades of experience in major Tier 1 carrier companies and operates from offices in London, Dublin and New York. For more information on Perseus Telecom, go to www.perseustelecom.com.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visitwww.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 8, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.