SUNNYVALE, CA–(Marketwire – Mar 6, 2012) – Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, today set a new standard for data center network scale, performance and interoperability with record-breaking test results for QFabric, Juniper’s single layer data center architecture and foundation for the new network. QFabric delivers the high performance required for big data and computationally intensive applications. The independent test, conducted by Network Test with support from Spirent Communications, is the industry’s largest yet at 1,536 10GE ports — a port count that covers a wide range of enterprise and service provider data centers.
- Network Test and Spirent Communications completed an independent test of Juniper’s QFabric technology using three key criteria: performance, scale and interoperability.
- Simulating data traffic representative of today’s most demanding data center and cloud environments, the QFabric system showed that enterprises can scale their existing data center infrastructure to meet growing floods of data, without loss of performance and without adding complexity. Results confirmed that all 1,536 ports were easily and simply managed as one device, while interoperating with other vendor networking products
- With data volumes expected to grow 50 times by 20201, Juniper Networks® QFabric technology is the only network solution capable of meeting this demand by scaling to 6,144 ports — four times the network test conducted — with ease while managing the entire data center network as a single, logical device. The testing also validated interoperability with a variety of switches.
- The QFabric system demonstrated record speeds, delivering network multicast traffic at a rate of 15.3 terabits per second — enough bandwidth to stream 3.4 million high definition movies simultaneously.
- The test environment used test equipment from Spirent Communications on a switching fabric with a high density of 10 GE ports, the new standard for modern data centers.
- Full report and results available here.
“This test sets a new high-water mark in data center networking performance. To show data traffic moving on this scale is a huge deal. As data volumes continue to explode, enterprises will need to rethink current data center network design and infrastructure.”
-David Newman, founder, Network Test
“This test marks an inflection point in the way information is managed in the data center. The test itself is several times larger than any previous test, and shows how easily QFabric scales from medium- to large-scale data centers with the elegance and operational simplicity of a single device. These results are a big milestone for the big data market and the massive needs of a burgeoning cloud market.”
-R. K. Anand, executive vice president and general manager, Data Center Business Unit, Juniper Networks
“We’re delighted that Network Test and Juniper selected Spirent’s industry-leading solutions for this ground-breaking test. With Spirent, Network Test was able to test QFabric’s performance at unprecedented scale, using the most stressful application traffic flows that data center switch fabrics are likely to encounter. This type of testing is an essential part of ensuring that QFabric is able to address the challenge of rapidly increasing scale in next-generation data centers.”
-Bill Burns, CEO, Spirent Communications
- Network Test YouTube Video
- Full Network Test report
- Relevant Juniper Blog
- QFabric STAC test blog
- Juniper.Net Community
- Juniper on Twitter
- Juniper on Facebook
About Network Test
Network Test president David Newman is a member of Network World’s Global Test Alliance, a confederation of independent test labs, and has more than 20 years of experience pushing networks to the breaking point while verifying performance and reliability.
About Spirent Communications
Spirent Communications test equipment generates the most stressful application traffic flows that data center fabrics will encounter. Spirent’s data center testing solution delivers high performance testing, realism and scalability.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and Communications that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net).
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos and QFabric are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
1 IDC Digital Universe Study, sponsored by EMC, June 2011