Virtualized Applications on the Network Support Massive Scalability and Performance Increases; Reduce Total Cost of Ownership For Large Scale Safety and Security Operations
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 21, 2012 – Cisco today announced that Cisco® Video Surveillance software is available on Cisco's award winning Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS™) platform, now in use by more than 11,000 customers. By virtualizing Cisco Video Surveillance software, Cisco is providing significantly improved levels of performance, scalability, agility and manageability.
Cisco Physical Security solutions enable organizations to transform the way they protect people, property and critical infrastructure. The virtualization of these solutions with Cisco Unified Data Center applications is part of Cisco's strategy to move toward a solutions-led building block approach for the complete Cisco Physical Security portfolio, resulting in an optimized IP network and Physical Security foundation.
This announcement is the next step in Cisco's physical security strategy, providing customers with hyper-scalability and capacity, lower cost of ownership and simplified management. This news follows the Cisco physical security strategy evolution announced in Fall 2011 which aligned Cisco strengths with market opportunities and customer requirements to focus on large-scale strategic deployments. This provides customers with a combination of Cisco physical security products, services, third-party products and systems, and core networking, data center, video and collaboration offerings to support business needs.
The Video Surveillance Manager on UCS solution represents the first Cisco Video Surveillance Building Block that meets the deployment requirements for large-scale city, transportation, healthcare and energy requirements.
- Modular UCS platform building blocks support massive scalability increases of up to 1,000 percent versus dedicated server solutions, allowing customers to scale to tens of thousands of cameras, delivering networked video surveillance for commercial, disaster and first responder needs, as well as large events.
- With a new rapid provisioning deployment model for large-scale city surveillance, transportation, critical infrastructure, energy, healthcare and other industries, Cisco Video Surveillance Manager provides centralized management with improved situational awareness and real-time response capabilities.
- UCS Express extends video surveillance as a service on the network as an easy-to-deploy, virtual solution with application consolidation on a blade-form factor for equipment that already exists in many branch offices.
- As part of an end-to-end solution, Cisco UCS offers infrastructure consolidation in the data center with innovative virtualization, memory, provisioning, I/O and management capabilities. Cisco UCS Express integrates the compute platform with all-in-one device convergence to facilitate the extension of data center applications into the branch.
- Management provided by the Cisco Unified Data Center, Unified Management, Unified Fabric and Unified Computing Systems delivers IT agility for fast provisioning, flexibility and lower operating costs.
- Highly secure separation capabilities for multi-tenant environments increase logical security and access control.
- Modular, scalable, high-density, and energy efficient, Cisco Physical Security Storage series platforms, as well as industry leading storage options from EMC and NetApp, will be available for use with Virtualized Video Surveillance as this solution is extended to the UCS B-Series and C-Series platforms.
- Cisco Capital® offers a variety of flexible financing offers to streamline the acquisition of Cisco products and services.
- Guido Jouret, general manager, Enterprise Video Group, Cisco, said: "Virtualizing video surveillance offers organizations reduced infrastructure costs, faster disaster recovery and deployment, reduced staffing needs and cooling costs, and improved application performance. Our solutions-led building block strategy focuses on virtualizing all Cisco software applications with Cisco Unified Data Center applications to support optimal end-to-end video quality."
- Dragisa Lojanica, head of IT, Banka Postanska Stedionica, Serbia, said: "The value of our recent Cisco deployment became evident soon after it was enabled. Cisco experts proved their in-depth understanding of our need to create a modern and efficient security surveillance infrastructure to help ensure that our customers and employees are protected, while streamlining operations, improving business efficiency and cutting costs."
- Dave Temple, assistant director of Technology Strategy, Loughborough University, United Kingdom, said: "Cisco Video Surveillance solutions increase our confidence that our students are protected with the highest quality products and support. Loughborough University is actively embracing the cloud model of service delivery using Cisco UCS at the core of its co-operative cloud system. The virtualized deployment model of the 6.3.2 release, based on Cisco's proven designs for modular building block solutions supported by lifecycle services, will dramatically improve management, scalability, performance and lower total cost of ownership while helping to significantly reduce risks."
- Rohan Mendis, telecommunications strategy manager, Transport for Greater Manchester, United Kingdom, said: "Cisco has provided a scalable platform solution to Transport for Greater Manchester, in support of our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for the travelling public, our staff and visitors to our City. We see the introduction of a virtualised cloud solution as part of the latest Cisco 6.3.2 release as a natural and positive development that will further improve the resilience, availability and cost effectiveness of the existing architecture, and is exciting both for us and for the technology sector as a whole. In our opinion, this approach will reduce design and network risks, improve affordability, and we welcome the scalability and management opportunities for improvement that this change enables."
- Video Surveillance Software release 6.3.2 is available now on UCS Express.
- The software is scheduled to be available on other platforms including Cisco UCS B and C Series in June 2012.
- Pricing for the UCS Express-based solution block starts from $2500.
- To learn more, visit Cisco Physical Security: www.cisco.com/go/physec
- Cisco Video Surveillance for Unified Computing System Express data sheet: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9145/ps9152/data_sheet_c78-703863.html
- Network readiness for IP video surveillance solution brief: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9145/ps9152/solution_brief_c11-652089.pdf
- Network readiness assessment for video surveillance: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/IPVS/IPVS_Network_Assessment.html
- Cisco-based high-performance network and video surveillance system installed in Russia's leading TV company, NTV: http://newsroom.cisco.com/press-release-content?type=webcontent&articleId=706226
- Serbian Postal Savings Bank deploys Cisco Connected Physical Security solutions: http://newsroom.cisco.com/press-release-content?type=webcontent&articleId=736354
- Case Study: Transportation agency centralizes video surveillance: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9145/ps9152/casestudy_c36-610593.html
- Case Study: University cost-effectively expands video surveillance: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9145/ps9152/Case_study_c36-562710.html
- Video: the Cisco Serbia team for the Banka Postanska Stedionica discuss the physical security deployment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_uiABWrcdo
Technorati Tags: Cisco, Physical Security, Video Surveillance, Safety & Security, UCS, Virtualized Security, UCS, UCS Express, BYOD, Multi-Tenant Data Center Architectures, Cisco Cloud, Cisco Video, Cisco Enterprise Video, Business Video, virtualization, unified data center
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Marc MusgroveCisco Systems, Inc.+1 408 525 firstname.lastname@example.org
Investor Relations Contacts
- Carol VillazonCisco Systems, Inc.+1 408 527 email@example.com
Industry Analyst Relations
- Benjamin CulpCisco Systems, Inc.949 firstname.lastname@example.org