Expansion of Dutch network enables transport-class service provider services; provides reliable communications alternative for local businesses
ALMERE, the Netherlands, and LINTHICUM, Md., U.S.A. — 02/16/2012
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced that the Dutch information and communications services provider UNET has selected Ciena’s Carrier Ethernet Solutions (CES) for the expansion and upgrade of its metro and access network. Ciena joined forces with Telindus-ISIT, a provider of network-based solutions and Ciena BizConnect partner in the Netherlands, to offer UNET a solution for rolling out scalable, cost-effective service provider services and expand its geographical reach in the Netherlands. The upgrade will allow additional customer growth for UNET and support its position as an alternative to traditional telecoms service providers.
- UNET’s network uses Ciena’s Carrier Ethernet solutions, including the 5305 Service Aggregation Switch and 3960 Service Delivery Switch, providing sub-50 ms protection and recovery switching. This approach will support UNET’s current enterprise services, adding scalability to the network and significantly accelerating and automating service creation and activation.
- Ciena and Telindus-ISIT have worked closely together to provide UNET with a transport-class packet networking solution that offers a CAPEX and OPEX reduction versus traditional architectures and addresses the scaling limitations of UNET’s existing network infrastructure while protecting past investments.
- The transport-class Ethernet architecture supports thousands of individual services, including Gigabit and 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and ensures that Service Level Agreement (SLA) requirements for throughput, latency, jitter and loss are met even under heavy traffic load conditions. This allows UNET to meet Quality of Service (QoS) requirements from its customers across a wide range of business sectors.
- “Service providers and enterprises in the Netherlands rely on reliable and cost-effective connectivity services to succeed. Ciena’s Carrier Ethernet Solutions offer UNET the tools needed to support the ambitions of its growing customer base, including a low-touch approach for quickly delivering new services and guaranteed service quality agreements.”
- Ger Bakker MsEE, CTO, UNET
- “Our Carrier Ethernet architecture will enable UNET to transition to a service-centric network and achieve new levels of capacity, differentiation, operational scalability, and reliability with its business services. UNET can now optimise all aspects of the service lifecycle, accelerate time to revenue, and increase profitability and competitiveness.”
- Peter Newcombe, vice president of sales, Northern and Eastern Europe, Ciena
- “Telindus-ISIT and Ciena have worked closely together to build a resilient, flexible and scalable Ethernet-based architecture for UNET, which will support its entire range of enterprise services and allow further growth of the customer base.”
- Nico Kraima, sales director, Telindus-ISIT
- Application note: Delivering True Carrier Ethernet Business Services
- Webinar: Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery Platform Overview
- Brochure: Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Product datasheet: 3960 Service Delivery Switch
- Product datasheet: 5305 Service Delivery Switch
About UNET BV
UNET is part of the BBIS NV, a privately owned group offering broadband network infrastructure and telecommunications solutions in the Netherlands to SME and the public sector. UNET's unique offerings are concentrated around Unext, it's fully automated multi service provisioning portal. UNET is offering services in an open network model, which separates service provisioning from network infrastructure, thus enabling the customer to combine services from different service providers over the same network infrastructure. The BBIS group owns extensive optical fibre access networks in several cities in the Netherlands, connected by a fully redundant national core network, applying DWDM and 10 Gb/s Ethernet technology.
Telindus-ISIT, part of the Belgacom Group, is specialised in the field of convergence of voice, data, video, storage and security. The organisation distinguishes itself by providing objective advice and a high level of innovation. As “The Network & Storage Company”, Telindus-ISIT is one of the few market players to deliver fully integrated end-to-end network and storage solutions to both companies and governmental (and semi-governmental) organisations. Telindus-ISIT also offers various managed services, from the management and monitoring of network and storage environments to complete outsourcing of all network-related activities, such as managed storage and managed WAN optimisation. Finally, Telindus-ISIT’s Education Services department offers a wide range of ICT training courses, primarily including vendor-specific certification programmes pertaining to networks, storage and office applications. For more information, visit www.telindus-isit.nl.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 22, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
+44(0) 207 012 5640