• Forty physical servers replaced by six Cisco UCS blades • Solution incorporates VMware virtualization and NetApp storage • New IT infrastructure enhances convenience for hotel guests and staff
Zurich-Wallisellen, Switzerland, February 16, 2012 – The Dolder Grand, a luxury hotel in Zurich, has deployed a new IT solution from Cisco that replaces 40 physical servers with six Cisco UCS™ blade servers. In combination with virtualization solutions from VMware and storage systems from NetApp, the blades help ensure maximum network operating stability. The three vendors, which have been working together closely since early 2010, offer comprehensive solutions for cloud-based data centers, complete with service and support, all from a single source.
Reliability and central control
With the Cisco solution, the Dolder Grand has a highly reliable IT infrastructure that can be managed centrally. The solution, which the hotel says was exceptionally quick to deploy, offers the following advantages:
- Easier data center management
- Lower power consumption and operating costs
- Faster troubleshooting, without downtime
- The ability for IT requests to be handled remotely
Improvements for hotel guests and staff
Poor data center performance and the lack of storage capacity prompted the decision to renew the Dolder Grand's IT infrastructure, originally deployed in 2008, after just three years. The new solution supplied by Cisco not only makes life easier for the luxury hotel's IT department on a day-to-day basis but also enhances convenience for hotel staff and guests:
- Staff are now able to allocate rooms and accept reservations around the clock and can handle check-in and check-out processes more efficiently.
- Guests are able to adjust the lighting and temperature in rooms easily using central controls.
- IT staff no longer need to actively manage and maintain blade servers.
"The hardware does exactly what it should: it simply works. With Cisco UCS servers, we have a stable platform capable of supporting all our applications. The business applications are now provisioned on a virtual basis, which has greatly improved both performance and availability," said Patrick Stäheli, Director of Engineering at the Dolder Grand in Zurich.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Sabine LobmeierCisco Systems, Inc.+49 (0)811 email@example.com