AT&T Goal is to Deliver AT&T Customers the Industry's Best Mobile Broadband Experience With Leading 4G LTE Device Portfolio, Along with Best-in-Class Apps and Network
Dallas, Texas, January 09, 2012
- From the stage of the AT&T Developer Summit -- one day before the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas -- AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets President and Chief Executive Officer Ralph de la Vega unveiled five smartphones and one tablet powered by 4G LTE and the Android platform that are planned for availability from AT&T* in early 2012.
- New LTE Samsung smartphones include the Samsung Galaxy Note™, a 5.3-inch device combining the benefits of various mobile devices while maintaining smartphone portability, exhibited on stage by Dr. W.P. Hong, Head of Global Product Strategy Team, Samsung Electronics.
- Pantech Chief Marketing Officer S. Jay Yim also addressed summit attendees about the first LTE-connected Android tablet under $300, the Pantech Element™, planned for availability on Jan. 22.
- De la Vega announced the first 4G LTE smartphone from Sony®1, the Xperia™ ion exclusively from AT&T, with availability planned for second quarter of 2012.
- He also introduced the Pantech Burst™, a consumer-oriented device for under $50 that is designed to help make 4G LTE devices more affordable to customers.
- For a limited time, customers may buy the Pantech Element and Burst together on contract and get the Element for $249.99 and the Burst at no cost.
- Additional Samsung smartphones unveiled at the AT&T Developer Summit included the Samsung Galaxy S® II Skyrocket™ HD, a 9.27-millimeter sliver of a smartphone with an HD Super AMOLED™ screen (1280x720), and the Samsung Exhilarate™, the first 4G LTE smartphone built to meet many environmental and sustainability standards. The Samsung Exhilarate will also be introduced at an affordable price, below $50.
- The AT&T Developer Summit is a two-day event for software developers to participate in a Hackathon, hear the latest news on AT&T 4G devices and network and get technical news and marketing insights from industry experts. Over 2,000 developers are attending. AT&T remains focused on opening up its network to developers and creating opportunities for collaboration. The two-day AT&T Developer Summit underscores this commitment.
- At the Developer Summit, AT&T also provided an update on its 4G LTE network build and outlined the benefits of its blended network technologies approach, which offers customers with compatible devices consistently fast 4G speeds in and out of 4G LTE areas.
- All news release and related multimedia content are available in the AT&T online newsroom: att.com/aboutus. Customers can learn more about the devices previewed today at att.com/ces.
Samsung Note™, Galaxy S II Skyrocket™ HD and Exhilarate™
- Samsung Galaxy Note™. A task master’s dream, the Galaxy Note combines the best features of a smartphone with the larger viewing screen of a tablet and the convenience of a notepad -- delivering all-in-one functionality to help users work more efficiently and maintain productivity while on-the-go. Featuring the largest screen on a smartphone, the Galaxy Note boasts the world’s first 5.3-inch HD Super AMOLED™ screen (1280x800) for sharp, clear colors and readability – both indoors and out. Galaxy Note also features the S Pen™, the most advanced pen input technology, featuring an array of leading qualities including pressure sensitivity, preciseness, speed and more. With the S Pen, users can easily sketch drawings, jot down notes, or write emails and texts quickly and easily in free-form handwriting. An easy screen-capture function also allows users to instantly save any screen, and these screens can also be personalized with the S Pen before being saved or shared.
The Samsung Galaxy Note is planned for availability in AT&T stores and online in the coming weeks.
- Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD. Planned for availability in the coming months, the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD is an elegantly designed and highly functional 4G LTE smartphone that features a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED screen, as well as a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor for ultra-smooth game play and video playback.
- Samsung Exhilarate™. Also planned for availability in the coming months, the Samsung Exhilarate is constructed from 80 percent recycled post-consumer materials and features eco modes and tools such as an Eco calendar and calculator. The Exhilarate also boasts a four-inch touchscreen Super AMOLED display, front and rear facing cameras, voice recognition and access to AT&T U-verse® Live TV. In addition, the Samsung Exhilarate was certified as Platinum by UL Environment – their highest level of sustainability certification. This is AT&T’s second device to receive this certification.
Pantech Element™ and Burst™
- Pantech Element™. This affordable tablet will be available exclusively in AT&T company-owned stores and online for $299.99 with a two-year contract, with planned availability on January 22. The Element is Pantech’s first LTE-connected Android tablet, and is waterproof2, greatly improving portability and usability (see the Pantech website for full details). The Element runs on Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) and includes a crisp 8-inch display, front and rear-facing cameras, and a rich web experience with full HTML and PC-like tabbed browsing.
- Pantech Burst™. Also planned for availability on January 22 in AT&T company-owned stores and online, the value-oriented Burst will be the first 4G LTE smartphone from Pantech in AT&T’s device portfolio. The Burst combines 4G LTE speeds, a 4-inch Super AMOLED display and Android functionality in a slim, affordable package – just $49.99 with a two-year contract. It will be available in two color choices, titanium or ruby red.
- For a limited time, customers may buy the Pantech Element and Burst together on contract and get the Element for $249.99 and the Burst for free.
Xperia ion from Sony
- AT&T will be the first carrier to offer Sony’s first-ever 4G LTE smartphone and first smartphone to be sold under the Sony brand in the U.S. Slated to launch in the second quarter, the Xperia ion from Sony is ideal for those looking for the ultimate smartphone viewing and listening experience.
Xperia ion will support access to the richest entertainment experiences from Sony Entertainment Network. Music Unlimited offers a global catalog of more than 12 million unique songs, while Video Unlimited has the latest Hollywood blockbusters and TV shows from all major studios. Xperia ion is also PlayStation® Certified, delivering a high quality smartphone gaming experience. Consumers will be able to access this content across Sony devices, including televisions, computers and tablets. Other features include Android 2.3, a 4.6-inch3 HD display, a 12-megapixel camera with Sony Exmor R™ for mobile, and a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor for fast browsing.
“Delivering a first-class mobile broadband experience to our customers is at the forefront of everything we do,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “To achieve this, we’re bringing together the industry’s best 4G smartphone portfolio, a blazing fast LTE 4G network, and innovative applications that stem from our collaborative relationship with the developer community.”
1 For illustrative purposes only. Use of "Sony" brand subject to regulatory approval.
2 Waterproof against incidental exposure to water when all ports (incl. USB and earphone ports) are tightly closed. NOT designed or intended for in water use. Submersible up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. Waterproof based on IP57 rating.
3 Actual size of screen is approximately 4.55”.
Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. 4G speeds delivered by LTE, or HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul, where available. Deployment ongoing. Compatible device and data plan required. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Learn more at att.com/network
Pantech Element with 2-yr agreement and minimum $35/mo 3 GB DataConnect Plan is $299.99. If you exceed your initial 3GB allowance, you will automatically be charged an overage of $10 for each additional GB provided. All data allowances and overages must be used in the billing period provided or they will be forfeited – details att.com/dataplans. Coverage not avail everywhere. Credit approval req’d. Geographic, usage, and other terms, conditions and restrictions apply, and may result in svc termination. Early Termination Fee (ETF): After 30 days, ETF up to $325. Restocking fee up to 10% of sales price may apply. Equipment Fee may apply if service is canceled within 30 days of purchase – details att.com/returns. Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge up to $1.25/mo. is chrg’d to help comply with gov’t obligations and chrgs; it is not a tax or gov’t req’d chrg. Taxes and other charges apply. See store or visit att.com for complete details and coverage maps.
Limited-time offer. Pantech Burst with new 2-yr wireless agrmt with qualifying voice plan and data plan is $49.99. Wireless Service: Subject to Wireless Customer Agrmt. Coverage and svcs not avail everywhere. Credit approval req’d. Activ. fee $36/line. Geographic, usage, and other terms, conditions and restrictions apply, and may result in svc termination. See store or visit att.com for complete details and coverage maps. Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge up to $1.25/mo. is chrg’d to help comply with gov’t obligations and chrgs; it is not a tax or gov’t req’d chrg. Early Termination Fee (ETF): After 30 days, ETF up to $325 based on device (details att.com/equipmentETF). Restocking fee up to $35. Taxes and other charges apply.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T, news, filings) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile broadband and emerging 4G capabilities, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T |DIRECTV brands. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world. In domestic markets, AT&T Advertising Solutions and AT&T Interactive are known for their leadership in local search and advertising.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. Mobile broadband not available in all areas. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
Information set forth in this press release contains financial estimates and other forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and actual results might differ materially. A discussion of factors that may affect future results is contained in AT&T's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. AT&T disclaims any obligation to update and revise statements contained in this news release based on new information or otherwise.