World's Largest Coal Supplier Embraces New Network Vision
BEIJING, December 12, 2011 — Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that Shenhua Group, the world's largest coal-based energy company, has deployed a new high-performance switching and security infrastructure running on the Juniper Networks® Junos® operating system at its new corporate data center.
Shenhua Group is one of China's key state-owned enterprises with core businesses encompassing coal production, power generation, railway and ports operations, shipping and coal-to-oil and coal-to-chemical processing. Shenhua Group’s scope for expanding its existing data center was limited so the decision was taken to establish a second data center, designed to accommodate the latest virtualization and cloud computing technologies.
- Juniper Networks EX8200 Ethernet Switches and SRX3600 Services Gateways enable Shenhua Group to establish a dynamic, highly-reliable, scalable and secure data center network to accommodate its expanding application requirements.
- The new Shenhua Group data center network has a two-layer switching architecture with Juniper Networks EX8216 switches forming the core and EX8208 switches deployed as end-of-row server access switches.
- The design enables massive data center network scalability and low-latency performance, providing a high-density of Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) and 10GbE wire-speed access ports and a migration path to 100GbE in the core network.
- Each Juniper Networks SRX3600 Services Gateway provides up to 30Gbps of firewall throughput, making it possible for the Shenhua Group to scale robust security in tandem with network performance.
- The Juniper Networks EX Series, SRX Series and Junos operating system support a rich set of network virtualization features, ensuring the new data center network is ready for cloud computing.
- As Shenhua Group deploys increasing numbers of virtualized servers it will be able to upgrade physical server access ports to 10GbE, providing ample capacity for multiple virtual LAN connections.
- The high port-density and backplane capacity of the EX8208 access switches means that server-to-server traffic patterns, characteristic of a virtualized data center, can mostly be handled without passing through the core network.
"In keeping with the nature of the Shenhua Group, everything about this data center network is massive – except its cost and environmental footprint. Flattening the network down to two layers reduces capital costs and, by eliminating the aggregation layer, simplifies management and greatly reduces latency. With Junos running as a single operating system across the whole data center network, Shenhua Group will also benefit from a consistent, highly-reliable and automated management environment."
- Eric Yu, vice president of Greater China, Juniper Networks
- Juniper.Net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JuniperSecurity
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net).
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.