PR Archives:  LatestBy Company By Date

Press Release -- September 6th, 2011
Source: Windstream
Tags: Construction, Equipment, MPLS

Windstream starts first Iowa broadband stimulus project

Little Rock, ARK. – Windstream has begun construction of its first broadband stimulus project in Iowa. The work in Protivin is being funded in part by a federal grant under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
The stimulus grants were designed to bring broadband to sparsely populated and remote areas where extending high-speed Internet service is cost prohibitive without a public-private partnership.
“This is a good day for Windstream and our customers in Protivin,” said Jim Nefzger, Windstream’s local manager. “This project will enable us to expand our broadband network in rural parts of the Protivin area.”
Broadband access to the Internet gives users a powerful tool for education, commerce and entertainment.
Nationally, Windstream was the largest single recipient of broadband stimulus grants awarded on a competitive basis by the U.S. Agriculture Department’s Rural Utilities Service.
Windstream won grants totaling $181.3 million for projects in 13 states, including Iowa. The grants cover 75 percent of the cost of installing broadband. Windstream will invest the remaining 25 percent, a total of $60.4 million.
In the state of Iowa, the grant totals more than $17.4 million, and Windstream’s investment is more than $5.8 million.
In Protivin, the project involves upgrading Windstream’s existing network with about 2 miles of fiber optic cable as well as electronic equipment.  It will reach about 30 potential customers.
Construction is expected to be completed in September and the new broadband service should be available to Windstream customers in October.
About Windstream
Windstream Corp. (NYSE:WIN, news, filings), headquartered in Little Rock, Ark., is an S&P 500 communications and technology solutions provider with operations in 29 states and the District of Columbia and about $4 billion in annual revenues. Windstream provides IP-based voice and data services, MPLS networking, data center and managed hosting services and communication systems to businesses and government agencies. The company also delivers broadband, digital phone and high-definition TV services to residential customers primarily located in rural areas and operates a local and long-haul fiber network spanning approximately 60,000 route miles. For more information about Windstream, visit

PR Archives: Latest, By Company, By Date