Ongoing Trials with Cisco 3G60 Broadband Processing Engine Support Cable Connection at Speeds of Up to 1.5 Gbps
SAN JOSE, Calif., and AMSTERDAM, IBC, September 10, 2011 – Cisco announced today it is working with Virgin Media to further enhance the company's network by deploying DOCSIS 3.0 technology to deliver high speed Internet services on the company's existing network infrastructure. In a trial in East London, Virgin Media achieved ground-breaking broadband speeds of 1.5 Gigabytes (Gb) by using Cisco's (3G60) Broadband Processing Engine, a high-density, cost-effective line card for Cisco's flagship uBR10K Universal Broadband Router and Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).
- An important component of Cisco's complete DOCSIS® 3.0 solution, the highly scalable 3G60 line card enables cable television operators to offer IP video services
- Cisco's Cisco Universal Broadband Router together with the 3G60 line card supports the full set of DOCSIS 3.0 features at scale, including IPv6, and supports advanced features such as dynamic bandwidth sharing.
- Using the 3G60, a single Cisco Universal Broadband Router can support up to 576 downstream and 480 upstream channels per chassis. This is the highest CMTS capacity and density in the industry.
- Mark Palazzo, vice president and general manager, Cable Access Business Unit Cisco:
"Cisco CMTS solutions are designed to support large-scale IP broadband and video services today – as well as the migration to IP networks in the near future. We are proud to help Virgin Media achieve such significant milestones with its network capacity and broadband connection speeds."
- About Virgin Media: http://www.virginmedia.com
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco IBC news and activities on Twitter: #CiscoIBC
Cisco, CMTS, bandwidth sharing, broadband router, East London, 1.5Gb, 3G60, DOCSIS 3.0, Virgin Media, IP, IP video, Mark Palazzo, network, online video, uBR10K
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About Virgin Media
Virgin Media is the first provider of all four broadband, TV, mobile phone and home phone services in the UK. The company delivers ultrafast broadband connections to over half of all UK homes, with speeds of up to 100Mb, and is expanding this cable network – the result of a multi-billion pound investment – to reach thousands more people across the country. Virgin Media has developed the most advanced interactive television service, bringing together broadcast TV, thousands of hours of on demand programming and the best of the web in a single set-top box powered by TiVo. The company was the first to offer HD TV and 3D on demand to millions of UK households.
Virgin Media also operates the most popular virtual mobile network in the UK which, when launched, was the world's first such mobile phone service. It is also one of the largest fixed-line home phone providers in the country. Virgin Media Inc. is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market and the London Stock Exchange (VMED). For more information, go to www.virginmedia.com.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
# # #
- Sara CiceroCisco Service Provider Video Technology Group+1 770 236 email@example.com