Fueled by Advanced Cisco Network Virtualization (nV) Technology, Three Powerful New Routing Platforms to Drive Growth in Mobile Internet Traffic, Devices and Cloud Services
SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 12, 2011 – Cisco today announced a major advancement in Internet networking with three new platforms in the Cisco® ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers System engineered to facilitate the proliferation of new mobile Internet services and devices such as tablets, smartphones and connected appliances. Cisco is continuing its tradition of innovation by announcing a simpler way for service providers to architect the next-generation Internet to be more visual, mobile and virtual.
Fueled by Cisco’s advanced nV (Network Virtualization) technology, which intelligently blends the network edge, aggregation and access layers into a single 96 Tbps system, the new routing platforms will allow service providers to dramatically increase network capacity and accelerate IPv6 services. These platforms will also enable service providers to cost-effectively converge and manage residential, business and mobile services with unmatched simplicity through virtual capabilities and resource sharing.
The three new platforms for service providers include:
- Cisco ASR 901 cell site router — a high-capacity, low-power router for 2G, 3G and 4G mobile cell sites;
- Cisco ASR 903 unified Ethernet access router — a compact, fully redundant Ethernet access device for business, residential and mobile applications;
- Cisco ASR 9001 small edge router — a smaller version of the popular Cisco ASR 9000 Series edge router for smaller deployments.
According to Cisco’s Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010-2015), there will be nearly 15 billion network connections, twice the world’s population by 2015, and service providers are relying on networking advancements such as Cisco nV technology and advanced routing capabilities to facilitate growing traffic while enabling new revenue-generating services.
- Expanding Cisco ASR 9000 system –These new high-performance routing platforms complement the Cisco ASR 9000 Series to offer service providers a complete system for high-speed business, residential and mobile services.
- Cisco Network Virtualization (nV) innovation– With the extension of Cisco nV technology capabilities to the access layer, service providers can further optimize operations and maximize the cost benefits of virtualized infrastructures. Cisco nV provides topology-, place- and capability-agnostic resource consolidation and virtualization. Cisco nV technology can be deployed by service providers with a simple software upgrade.
- Comprehensive Mobile Internet solution –These innovative solutions deliver on the promise of the Cisco M.O.VE (Monetization, Optimization, Video Experience) strategic framework, which aims to help service providers better manage and take financial advantage of the rapidly growing volume of Internet traffic. Cisco’s mobile Internet solutions include the industry-leading Cisco ASR 5000 Series, which has been deployed in more than 200 mobile networks worldwide.
- The benefits of these innovations to service providers and their customers include:
o Superior Network Capacity – Enabled by Cisco nV technology, the new Cisco ASR 9000 system offers an industry-leading 96 Tbps capacity. With this capacity, a single system can:
— Stream recordings of all Super Bowls, World Cup Soccer and Cricket World Cup matches ever played in less than a second.
— Allow every man, woman and child in Beijing, London and Moscow (approximately 43 million people) to stream a high-definition movie –simultaneously.
o Redefines Economics for Mobile Networks – With low power usage, zero-touch configurations, single-click upgrades and single touch-point management, the Cisco ASR 9000 system uses Cisco nV technology to lower operating costs by up to 74 percent when compared with competing edge platforms, according ACG Research.
o Simplified IPv6 Migrations: Cisco delivers on its strategy of simplifying the design, deployment and management of services through IPv6 next-generation networks.
o Simplified Service Management:With plug-and-play capabilities and singular point-of-service management using Cisco Prime™ Network Control System, service providers can enjoy efficient and effective network management. This reduces the need for costly on-site setup, support and maintenance.
More than 500 service providers worldwide have deployed the Cisco ASR 9000 Series products as the foundation of their next-generation Internet network, including the following recently announced customers: Polish Telecom (Poland), PCCW (Hong Kong), US Signal (U.S.), Comcast (U.S.), China Telecom (China), Tata Communications (India), FastWeb (Italy), Cox Communications (U.S.), NTT Plala (Japan), Kabel Deutschland (Germany), Charter Communications (U.S.) and Consolidated Communications (U.S.) and 3 Scandinavia (Denmark and Sweden).
- Keiichi Makizono, corporate officer, head of network division, SoftBank, Japan
“SoftBank Corporation is always looking for innovative solutions that will enable us to improve service quality, reduce costs, and increase network reliability. The Cisco ASR 9000 offers us an integrated, simplified solution with massive bandwidth capacity and excellent services capability. This system gives us the flexibility to build a next-generation network for 4G mobile Internet services.”
- Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, Cisco Service Provider Routing Group
“Service providers worldwide are expanding their networks to meet increasing demand for bandwidth and quality Internet experiences and mobile networks are leading the way. The Cisco ASR 9000 system offers a simple solution for service providers to meet the ever-increasing needs of their customers with a single, advanced system for this decade and beyond. Proving that big things do indeed come in small packages, these new Cisco ASR 9000 platforms will increase network capacity and performance while reducing network complexity and costs.”
- Watch VoD: Announcing new platforms in the Cisco ASR 9000 system — Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, Cisco Service Provider Routing Group, introduces Cisco’s newest innovations for service provider networks.
- SoftBank Corporation
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco Mobility Solutions
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers System
- The New Cisco ASR 9000 System with Network Virtualization Technology
- Cisco ASR 901
- Cisco ASR 903
- Cisco ASR 9001
- New Cisco ASR 9000 System for Mobile Networks
- View the full Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast for 2010-2015
- Keep up with Cisco’s news by visiting the company’s Platform Blog
- For more information about Cisco’s service provider news and activities visit SP360or Twitter @CiscoSP360 and @CiscoSPVideo
- To join the conversation on Mobility: Cisco Mobility Community
- Subscribe to Cisco’s SP360 Feed
Tags/keywords: Cisco, network virtualization, nV technology, ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 9000, ASR 901, ASR 903, ASR 9001, ASR 5000, ASR, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Next-Generation Internet, mobile Internet, 4G, LTE, mobile video, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, Surya Panditi, SoftBank
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Kevin PetschowCisco847.firstname.lastname@example.org