Happy 4th of July! I hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend (if you happen to live in the U.S.)
Today we take a look at the first half of 2011 to see which Cloud players are gaining mind share. In addition to the “Top 110 Cloud Enablers Gaining Mind Share,” I have included “The Leaderboard”, 120 Up and Coming Cloud Innovators, Movers and Shakers.
So far the segment has been brimming with excitement as large enterprise information technology companies continue their rapid restructuring to an on-demand cloud computing model by enhancing their portfolios through acquisitions.
Before we see the most recent changes, lets take a quick look at the 2011 acquisitions (2010 activity can be found here).
- Black Duck Software acquires Olliance (Open Source Strategy Consulting)
- CA acquires Torokina Networks (Service Assurance Management)
- Cisco picks up Pari Networks (Network / Change Management)
- Citrix closes Netviewer acquisition (Software-as-a-Service -SaaS)
- CoreLogic acquires Dorado (Transaction Management – PaaS)
- Dell to acquire InSite One (Healthcare/ Medical Storage, DR)
- Dell SecureWorks acquisition (Security)
- Google acquires SayNow (Social Voice Platform)
- HP Buys Vertica (Real-Time Analytics)
- Infor Launches Bid For Lawson (Enterprise Resource Planning – ERP)
- NetApp acquires Akorri (Infrastructure Optimization)
- Qualcomm acquires Atheros (Chips – Smartphones, Tablets)
- Rackspace acquires Anso Labs (OpenStack)
- Salesforce buys Heroku (Ruby Development platform)
- Salesforce buys DimDim (Communications platform)
- Skype acquires Qik (Mobile video – Android, iOS, BlackBerry)
- Sourcefire acquires Immunet (Cloud based anti-malware)
- Teradata buys Aster Data (Data analytics)
- Time Warner Cable buys Navisite (Cloud Managed Services)
- Verizon acquires Terremark (Managed Hosting Services)
- Cisco acquires newScale (Data Center Services)
- CenturyLink acquires Savvis (Managed Hosting Services)
- NTT’s Dimension Data buys OpSource (Cloud Managed Services)
With that M&A activity as background, here are the rankings for the Top 110 Cloud Enablers Gaining Mind Share in 2Q 2011. As customary, the list below is a subjective impression of Cloud Service Providers (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), and Cloud Technology enablers on my cloud computing radar.