Enables intelligent bandwidth-on-demand to meet performance and elasticity requirements of public, private and hybrid cloud networking
LINTHICUM, Md. — 05/10/2011
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced it will demonstrate new cloud networking capabilities at EMC World, May 9-12 in Las Vegas and at TM Forum Management World, May 23-26 in Dublin. Extending Ciena’s existing service-driven intelligent bandwidth capabilities to respond to application-layer demands for connectivity and capacity, these technology demonstrations point the way to a future high-performance cloud backbone whereby network bandwidth—whether across a city or across the globe—can be as elastic, programmable and virtualized as storage and servers are today.
EMC World Demonstration
• At EMC World, Ciena will demonstrate interoperability with EMC’s VPLEX Metro and VPLEX GEO virtualization solutions for enterprise cloud storage over metro and long-haul distances. Ciena and EMC have jointly qualified VPLEX Metro to work with Ciena’s ActivSpan 4200 Advanced Services Platform, ActivSpan 5200 Advanced Services Platform, and ActivFlex 6500 Packet-Optical Platform. Ciena and EMC are also qualifying Ciena’s Enterprise Services Optimization Module (ESOM) solution to support EMC’s VPLEX GEO over extended distance. Ciena and EMC will show “before” and “after” conditions to illustrate the joint solution value in private and public cloud networks, including demonstrations of workload mobility—a move of live virtual machines over 200 km—and an application-triggered VPLEX demo that shows automatic bandwidth-on-demand allocation – in reaction to workload changes.
• Additionally, Ciena will showcase solution integration with EMC’s Ionix Server Manager and Ionix Network Configuration Manager, which provide IT managers with an end-to-end view of their EMC configuration, including Ciena network elements.
• Ciena and EMC have a longstanding relationship to provide superior connectivity and performance between datacenters in both public and private networks. More than 150 customers worldwide use EMC’s storage and virtualization solutions coupled with Ciena network solutions.
• Brian Gallagher, president, Symmetrix and Virtualization Product Group at EMC, commented on the collaboration: “Federation of storage provides a logical framework for improving resource utilization and enabling application mobility. EMC VPLEX enables IT organizations to federate storage and take advantage of remote data centers for end-of-period workload peaks, disaster avoidance or instant capacity for a new project. By integrating VPLEX with Ciena’s wide/metro area-networking products, IT organizations can realize the true benefits of virtual storage by eliminating the network and latency issues that could impact performance when moving workloads between data centers.”
TM Forum Management World Demonstration
• At TM Forum Management World, Ciena will join Infonova, Layer7 and Zimory in a Cloud Network Elasticity Catalyst Demonstration of a scalable enterprise-grade cloud infrastructure leveraging bandwidth-on-demand, sponsored by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Deutsche Telekom.
• The Catalyst demonstrates an integrated infrastructure and service offering, combining flexible, SLA-assured, secure computing power with elastic and scalable storage supported by a high-performance backbone and bandwidth-on-demand. Service creation, monitoring and billing operations are combined with orchestrated, on-demand resource management.
• Ciena’s packet optical and Carrier Ethernet architecture provides the high-performance, on-demand backbone network within the distributed cloud computer—with control plane-driven optical core mesh providing key bandwidth-on-demand capabilities.
• Participants and attendees will have an opportunity to test and evaluate the different options for delivering such offerings in wholesale as well as retail markets.
• “Enterprise IT organizations are looking to cloud services offerings to support a myriad of data management requirements. This presents a tremendous opportunity for telecom and managed hosting service providers to expand their business services footprint by adding cloud services. By tapping the massive network infrastructure they already have in place, they are strategically positioned to evolve their network backbone into a dynamic and economically scalable cloud backbone to seamlessly absorb the complexity of the enterprise IT infrastructure.” – Lucinda Borovick, vice president, enterprise communications infrastructure and data center networks, IDC
• “With an elastic, self-service, pay-per-use business model with service guarantees, cloud networking requires a new architectural perspective—an evolutionary but transformative approach that borrows concepts and best practices from Internet-style consumption, private network performance, control and security, and public network flexibility and scale. When applied to bandwidth, our market-leading software and switching intelligence enables our customers to automatically deliver on-demand capacity in response to application demands, enabling new levels of control and elasticity for enterprises and new potential sources of revenue for network operators.” – Steve Alexander, senior vice president and chief technology officer, Ciena Corporation
• White Paper: Developing a Strategic Approach to Data Center Networking
• Ciena Membership Organization: Open Networking Foundation
• Video: What is Cloud Computing?
• Video: Cloud Computing and the Network
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 10, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(888) 243 6223