“World’s Largest Classroom” Has Delivered Information and Communications Technology Education and Skills to Nearly Four Million Students Since 1997
SAN JOSE, Calif. – February 28, 2011 – Cisco today announced that its largest and most enduring corporate social responsibility program, the Cisco® Networking Academy®, has enrolled its 1 millionth concurrent student for the first time. In partnership with educational institutions, government administrations and community based organizations around the world, the Networking Academy delivers information and communications technology (ICT) education through effective in-classroom learning combined with innovative cloud-based curricula and tools to prepare students for careers in the 21st-century global economy.
- The Networking Academy began in 1997 with 64 schools and has grown to become one of the “world’s largest classrooms” with 10,000 academies in 165 countries, and nearly 4 million students having participated in the program to date.
- A pioneering example of cloud-based education delivery, the Networking Academy teaches students how to design, build, troubleshoot, and secure computer networks for increased access to career and economic opportunities in communities around the world. Students who complete the program often go on to secure entry-level career opportunities, participate in continuing education and achieve globally recognized career certifications.
- Networking Academy courses are delivered in multiple languages through a cloud-based learning system. Courses are supported by classroom instruction, hands-on learning activities, and interactive online assessments that provide personalized feedback. Networking Academy instructors receive extensive training and support to help ensure a consistently-enriching learning experience for students around the world.
- Cisco is celebrating this milestone by offering Networking Academy students and alumni the chance to show the benefits of this unique classroom experience through a video contest titled “Why is The Cisco Networking Academy Classroom Like No Other?”
“Networking Academy is truly the world’s largest classroom. The unique delivery model combines the power of the network and the cloud with the global need for ICT skills-based education to address the critical need for networking professionals around the world.”
“Cisco keeps searching for what is missing for the skills required for the 21st century and delivers the most critical lessons to our students. The Networking Academy training is interesting to the students due in part to its integrated online and hands-on approach to learning. As a teacher, I enjoy the student-centric approach and the value that hands-on learning brings.”
“I think in the very beginning the fact that a company like Cisco was supporting the Networking Academy was very attractive for teachers and students. After a while we began seeing learning results — a much higher number of students and lower dropout rates — so the earlier attraction has proved to be right.”
“As I make steps forward in my career, I carry with me the knowledge and the solid foundation that the Networking Academy built. I love my job and I am grateful for all of the doors this program has opened.”
- Amy Christen, vice president of Cisco Corporate Affairs and Networking Academy
- Dr. Hoda Baraka, first deputy to the minister of communications and information technology, and professor of computer engineering, Cairo University, Arab Republic of Egypt
- Josep Francí, director general for vocational, artistic, and specialized studies, Regional Ministry of Education; and director general of vocational training and lifelong learning at the Department of Education, Catalonia, Spain
- Kelly Gheesling, Networking Academy Graduate, Michigan
Key Networking Academy Statistics:
- 1 million Networking Academy students worldwide concurrently engaged in learning this year
- Nearly 4 million students reached by the Networking Academy to date
- 10,000 Networking Academies operating in 165 countries
- 1 million online assessments delivered monthly
- 100 million online assessments delivered to date
- 175,000 Facebook fans, whose numbers are growing daily
- Watch the World’s Largest Classroom video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcW41PvuV2g
For More Information:
- Cisco Networking Academy: www.cisco.com/go/netacad
- Visit the World’s Largest Classroom site to learn more and watch student videos. www.cisco.com/go/wlc
- Read about the video contest entitled “why is the Cisco Networking Academy classroom like no other.” https://www.facebook.com/cisconetworkingacademy?v=app_197624863584369
- Learn about students and alumni who have applied their networking skills to advance their careers and make a difference in their communities. http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/success_stories/studentImpact/index_alt.html
- Discover how Networking Academy and its partners are helping members of underserved communities gain access to new opportunities. http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/success_stories/digitalDivide/index_alt.html
- Watch Amy Christen, vice president of Corporate Affairs and Networking Academy discussing the role of Networking Academy in global education transformation. http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2010/ts_082510.html
- Read about Cisco’s Workforce Retraining Initiative in Michigan. http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2009/prod_071409.html
- Locate a Networking Academy program in your area: http://cisco.netacad.net/cnams/locators/LocatorMain.jsp
- Courses and Certifications: http://www.cisco.com/go/netacadcourses
- Cisco Packet Tracer: www.cisco.com/go/packettracer
- Academy Netspace: www.academynetspace.com
- Facebook : www.facebook.com/cisconetworkingacademy
- Join the discussion at www.GETideas.org – an open, online community for education leaders
Tags / Keywords:
Cisco, CSR, corporate social responsibility, citizenship, social investment, education, Networking Academy, ICT education, education in the cloud, education and economic sustainability, economic development, world’s largest classroom, 21st century skills, online assessments, ICT literacy
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, visit http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Robyn Jenkins-Blum Cisco Systems, Inc. 408 853-9848 firstname.lastname@example.org