WideCast Proving Instrumental in Improving Customer Experience, Lowering Cost and Providing a Framework for Premium Video Service Delivery
LAS VEGAS (TelcoTV) — Thursday, November 4, 2010 // BTI Systems, the company that redefines metro service delivery, today disclosed the benefits realized during customer deployments of its WideCast™ solution, which it will be demonstrating at TelcoTV in Las Vegas, which takes place Nov. 9-11. WideCast embraces Content Aware Networking and gives service providers and network operators the opportunity to turn the problem of OTT video delivery into a new business opportunity. The WideCast solution contains the following key components:
- WideCast Transparent Cache – A Self Learning Cache with full P2P, HTTP, Flash support for bandwidth hungry downloads that transparently deliver traffic at the edge without operators having to manage content;
- WideCast 200 and 300 server modules to support applications at the edge of the network that includes a performance optimized – lights out – LINUX OS that is integrated with the BTI 7000 series products; and
- WideCast Application Routing Software upgrades to BTI 7000 packet optical networking solutions to provide efficient network redirect for cacheable applications without impacting throughput for non-cacheable traffic.
In recent customer deployments, a significant reduction in network, backhaul and Internet transit/peering bandwidth has been experienced. These deployments–delivering live services in several markets–demonstrate how service providers regardless of size and geographic location can realize tangible improvements in terms of lower operational and capital expenditure costs, improved network performance, and reduced call center volume, far exceeding what would be expected just looking at the bandwidth saved or generated. Content is pushed closer to the subscriber with transparent caching technology to lower download time and reduce Middle Mile bandwidth requirements. Specific results include:
- Savings of 20 percent to 37 percent on network and transit costs depending on level of OTT and P2P traffic in the served area;
- 7.1x improvement in end user throughput for cached media; and
- Deferment of additional leased backhaul circuits needed to support bandwidth growth without WideCast.
“WideCast enables service providers to better manage the delivery of Over-The-Top video services and provides a platform for participating in the video services market,” said Gary Southwell, BTI Systems CTO. “Content Aware Networking takes video service delivery to the edge with a very simple operational paradigm for mass market deployment. We are honored to have WideCast among the finalists for a TelcoTV Vision Award,” he added.
BTI Systems will be providing live demonstrations of WideCast’s capabilities during TelcoTV in Las Vegas on Nov. 9-11. To meet with BTI Systems, view live demonstrations and learn more about WideCast, visit booth 755. Please visit the TelcoTV Web site for additional conference information.
About BTI Systems
BTI Systems redefines service delivery with its packet-optical service platforms that help over 250 service provider and enterprise customers converge, transition and connect Ethernet, video and wireless data services in their metropolitan networks. The BTI Systems portfolio consists of the BTI 7000 Series packet optical networking platform, WideCast Content Aware Networking solutions, the BTI 700 Series Carrier Ethernet access portfolio, and the proNX Management Suite offering element, network, service management and strategic planning capabilities. BTI Systems has 200 employees at its headquarters in Ottawa and throughout its regional offices in Belfast, Boston, China.