Nation’s First Dedicated 4G Support for Apple(R) Mobile Devices
- New CLEAR iSpot Personal Hotspot Brings Unlimited Rich Mobile Broadband Experience to Apple Mobile Product Lines
- Monthly Service Plans Offer High-Speed, Cost-Effective, Unlimited 4G Mobile Broadband Options for iPad(TM), iPod touch(R), and iPhone(R) Data Service
KIRKLAND, Wash., Aug 04, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) —
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of wireless broadband services and operator of the largest 4G network in the country, today announced the introduction of the CLEAR iSpot(TM), a personal hotspot with dedicated support for Apple’s line of mobile devices*, including the iPad(TM), iPod touch(R) and iPhone(R). The iSpot brings the speed and mobility of true mobile broadband to a user base primed for the rich online experience of 4G.
“With the iSpot, Apple customers don’t have to sort through confusing service plans with overage fees, nor do they have to worry about how much data they’re using,” said Thomas Enraght-Moony, senior vice president of marketing at Clearwire. “Instead, with CLEAR, customers can run all of their Apple mobile devices at true broadband speeds for a single, simple monthly fee.”
The iSpot is CLEAR’s first 4G personal mobile hotspot made exclusively for Apple mobile products, including iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices. iSpot users can share 4G speed with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled Apple mobile devices simultaneously. The CLEAR iSpot’s ergonomic design and white casing were specifically designed to complement the iconic image of Apple products.
Using CLEAR super fast mobile internet(R) service, Apple’s iPad, iPod touch or iPhone can access a rich mobile broadband experience with average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps**. For example, using the CLEAR iSpot an iPad user can stream unlimited movies or television shows via the Netflix app from home, work or on the go, while an iPod user can stream Pandora(R) music or live sports play-by-play on the commute home.
The iSpot expands the CLEAR line of personal mobile hotspots, which includes the CLEAR Spot 4G and CLEAR Spot 4G+. With personal mobile hotspots, CLEAR provides thousands of Wi-Fi enabled devices, from laptops to netbooks to personal gaming devices the ability to access super fast mobile internet service anywhere in CLEAR coverage.
iSpot Pricing and Availability
The iSpot is available nationwide from www.clear.com today and available in CLEAR retail stores and authorized dealers beginning August 10. The iSpot has an MSRP of $99.99*** and users can enjoy unlimited 4G data usage for an initial low monthly service offering of $25*** without a required term contract. In conjunction with today’s launch, new CLEAR customers can take advantage of a one-day introductory sale offering significant savings on the iSpot (and other CLEAR Spot devices) when activating qualified CLEAR mobile service. Special one-day pricing is available through August 5, online only at www.clear.com.
For more information about CLEAR, visit www.clear.com. You can also follow the CLEAR Blog at www.theclearblog.com or on twitter @Clear. Detailed company information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
For press and broadcast: Product images, video footage and company logos can be downloaded from the Clearwire website at: http://www.clearwire.com/newsroom. To subscribe to Clearwire’s RSS news feed, click here.
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of wireless broadband services. Clearwire’s 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 51 million people live, and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire’s open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its 4G service through its own brand called CLEAR as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash. Additional information is available at www.clearwire.com.
*Apple does not endorse Clearwire products or services and is not affiliated with Clearwire.
** CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed by CLEAR on the CLEAR commercial network, vs. other national wireless carriers’ recently published, download speed information. Actual CLEAR network performance may vary and is not guaranteed.
Unlimited plans subject to CLEAR’s Acceptable Use Policy, posted at www.clear.com/legal/aup.
Clearwire, CLEAR, the CLEAR logo and super fast mobile internet are trademarks or registered trademarks of Clearwire Communications LLC. All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners; use of these names does not indicate official support or endorsement of Clearwire products or services. © 2010 Clear Wireless LLC. All Rights Reserved.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management’s current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management’s expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words “will,” “would,” “may,” “should,” “estimate,” “project,” “forecast,” “intend,” “expect,” “believe,” “target,” “designed,” “plan” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum.
- If our business fails to perform as we expect, or if we elect to pursue new plans or strategies, we may be required to raise substantial additional financing, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we may need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We are committed to using commercially reasonable efforts to deploy wireless broadband networks based solely on mobile WiMAX technology, even if there are alternative technologies available in the future that are technologically superior or more cost effective.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading “Risk Factors” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on May 6, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6384951&lang=en
SOURCE: Clearwire Corporation
National Media and Industry Analysts JLM Partners for Clearwire Mike DiGioia or Jeremy Pemble, 206-381-3600 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or Midwest, Northeast, Southeast Regions Media Contact Clearwire Corporation Chris Comes 312-282-0539 (mobile) 847-993-9661 (office) firstname.lastname@example.org or Western Region Media Contact Clearwire Corporation Debra Havins, 303-210-7269 (mobile) email@example.com