Colt delivers high quality, large-scale Modular Data Centre halls within 4 months
07 July 2010
Colt, a leading provider of business communications and IT managed services, today announced the launch of the Colt Modular Data Centre, a radical new approach to data centres which redefines the method of construction and delivery of large data centre halls.
The entire Colt Modular Data Centre, including all power and cooling elements, is constructed and tested in approved manufacturing facilities using modern component based production line techniques before being transported to its final location – either to a Colt managed data centre site, or to a site of the customer’s own choosing. This innovative approach will allow Colt to deliver highly power-efficient, turnkey data centre halls to customers in less than four months, whilst offering the flexibility to build large-scale data centres in 500m2 increments to the size and layout of their choice.
Colt’s Modular Data Centre services and solutions will be provided by Colt Data Centre Services (Colt DCS), a newly formed division of Colt that will focus solely on offering customers long term, high quality, and large-scale data centres and services. Colt is already an established player in the provision of high-specification data centre facilities for more than 15 years, currently operating 19 data centres and managing over 21,000m2 of data centre space across Europe. Colt also recently announced that it had acquired the freehold of its existing London 3 data centre site, increasing Colt’s capacity at the site from 4,500m2 to in excess of 10,500m2 with associated available power provision. Colt is also building out further space and power capacity at its existing Paris 2 site to house the new modular data halls.
Rakesh Bhasin, CEO Colt, said: “For our customers, the data centre facility is one of the most critical components in ensuring the continuity and integrity of their IT services and operations. The formation of Colt Data Centre Services, and the launch of Colt’s Modular Data Centres, will redefine the way in which our customers can address their growing need for high quality data centre space, substantially reducing deployment times as well as helping them to minimise the environmental and cost impacts associated with the consumption of power. The Colt Data Centre proposition provides another essential piece to Colt’s overall strategy of becoming Europe’s leading Information Delivery Platform.”
Notes to editors:
Key features of Colt’s Modular Data Centre
1. Colt’s Modular Data centres are manufactured, staged and tested at approved factories before being transported to its designated site, where Colt will reconstruct and commission the data centre – all within four months, approximately a third of the time required for a conventional build in the market.
2. High power efficiency: Design target PUE (Power Usage Efficiency) of 1.21† drives down the cost of operating a data centre through decreased power usage, substantially reducing the overall cost of running the data centre
3. A range of power and cooling options are available, with the minimum base configuration capable of 750kW power and 1500W/m2 power density for a 500m2 hall.
4. Colt’s Modular Data Centres are available in units of 500m2, which can be joined and double-stacked to provide a data centre to suit the customer’s capacity needs.
5. Colt’s Modular Data Centre can be supplied to a site of the customer’s choice within Europe, or housed and managed in one of Colt’s Data Centre locations.
6. Further information is available at www.colt.net/dcs
† PUE as defined by the Colt design authority document DAPS-004 and based on standard PUE calculation methodology proposed by the Green Grid. This figure is based upon defined operating environments in specific geographic climates under sealed conditions
Colt is Europe’s leading information delivery platform, enabling its customers to share, process and store their vital business information. Colt is an established leader in delivering integrated networking and IT managed services to major organisations, midsized businesses and wholesale customers. Colt operates a 13-country, 25,000km network that includes metropolitan area networks in 34 major European cities with direct fibre connections into 16,000 buildings and 19 Colt data centres.
Colt is listed on the London Stock Exchange (COLT). Information about Colt and its services can be found at www.colt.net.
For more information, please contact:
DDI: +44 (0)20 7863 5015
Mobile : +44 (0) 7855 301078
Industry analysts’ contact
DDI: + 44 (0)8453 700 655
Mobile: +44 (0) 77790 012874
DDI: + 020 7863 5314