4G Network Expands to Cover an Additional 271 Square Miles of the Keystone State
Curtis Heffelfinger Named Clear General Manager for Harrisburg, Lancaster, Reading and York
Consumers and Businesses Now Have Access to Mobile Internet Service Many Times Faster Than 3G
4G Mobile Internet Promotion Available for the First Two Months with $25 Service Credit at Clear.com
HARRISBURG, Penn., May 03, 2010 — Clearwire Communications, LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), announced today the expansion of its sales operations for CLEAR’s super fast mobile Internet service throughout Central Pennsylvania including Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and York. The company also named Curtis Heffelfinger as general manager for this area.
With CLEAR(R), consumers and businesses can access the Internet wirelessly at true broadband speeds – at home, in the office, and on the go – anywhere in the CLEAR coverage area. CLEAR covers 271 square miles and more than 739,000 people in areas such as Greater Harrisburg from Mechanicsburg to Hershey, Greater York from West York to Hallam, Greater Lancaster from Millersville to East Petersburg, and Greater Reading from Sinking Spring to Mount Penn. CLEAR’s network already blankets 1,000 square miles and offers service to 3.6 million people in Philadelphia.
“We are excited about this day for two reasons: we believe that CLEAR is truly going to revolutionize the way folks in Central Pennsylvania access the Internet, and it’s personally gratifying to me given that Harrisburg is my hometown,” said Curtis Heffelfinger, general manager for CLEAR. “Customers can eat lunch on City Island while conducting a WebEx meeting and baseball fans can stream radio while tailgating in the parking lot before a Revolution game in York. We’re providing an Internet experience that is unmatched and we can’t wait for people in Central Pennsylvania to enjoy it.”
A CLEAR Difference
The CLEAR customer experience is similar to that provided by Wi-Fi, but without the short-range limitations of a traditional Internet hotspot. CLEAR uses a wireless 4G technology that differs from Wi-Fi called WiMAX, which provides service areas measured in miles, not feet. Furthermore, CLEAR gives users average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps.*
As the Internet integrates deeper into daily life, the opportunities to stay connected and be productive are enhanced by CLEAR in numerous ways. For example:
- A mobile professional no longer needs to seek out Wi-Fi hotspots or be constrained by the speeds and limitations of 3G modem cards;
- A college student or retiree can now have affordable Internet service to meet their needs at home, on campus and on-the-go;
- A commuter can now work or access entertainment sites like Hulu or Pandora on the way to and from home;
- A busy parent can now have full Internet connectivity for kids studying or playing games in the back of the family minivan.
For these and many other customers, CLEAR’s simple and innovative pricing provides ultimate flexibility. CLEAR’s mobile and residential plans can be purchased by the day or by the month, with several no-service-contract options available. Home Internet service plans start at $30 per month. CLEAR 4G mobile Internet plans start at $40 per month. For a limited time, customers in Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and York can take advantage of CLEAR’s online-only mobile Internet promotion with plans starting at $15 per month for the first two months after a $25 service credit with a two-year service agreement. This online promotion is available at http://www.clear.com.
Additional savings are available for customers purchasing a combination of services such as home-and-mobile or mobile-and-mobile options. Combination plans start at $55 per month.
True road warriors will benefit from the speed and reach of the CLEAR 4G+ dual-mode 4G/3G service. CLEAR 4G+ offers customers access to the entire Clearwire 4G network and 3G mobile Internet service outside the CLEAR service area. CLEAR 4G+ is available for $55 per month.
Visitors or occasional users with a WiMAX-enabled device can also purchase a convenient day pass for $10.
Full details about CLEAR products, service plans and options for business customers can be found online at http://www.clear.com, at a CLEAR retail store, or by visiting an authorized CLEAR dealer. CLEAR retail stores in Central Pennsylvania are located in Capital City Mall in Camp Hill and Park City Mall in Lancaster.
CLEAR service is also available from a number of other outlets including Best Buy, Fry’s, MicroCenter and RadioShack.
Simply Plug-In and Go
CLEAR offers several simple choices for broadband connectivity.
- Clear USB Modem and Clear 4G+ Mobile: Mobile users simply plug-in CLEAR’s compact, mobile WiMAX-enabled USB modem into their laptop to get online. From Ubee, the USB modem is available for only $64.99 or leased for just $3.99 per month. Customers can purchase the modem from a store or online. Customers who travel across the U.S. may purchase the Clear 4G+ mobile USB, a dual-mode (4G/3G) modem from CLEAR. The dual-mode capabilities give the truly mobile user access to nationwide 3G network service whenever the CLEAR 4G service is not available. The 4G+ mobile USB is available to lease for only $5.99 per month.
- Residential Data & Voice Services: For residential service, CLEAR offers customers a wireless high-speed modem, about the size of a small book. Customers simply plug the modem into a power outlet anywhere in their home or office and connect the modem to their PC or wireless router. This enables consumers and businesses to install high-speed Internet service without the need to schedule an appointment, drill holes in their walls, or otherwise disrupt their day. The Clear Home Modem Series G, a residential modem from Gemtek, can be purchased for $79.99 or leased for just $4.99 monthly. Residential customers can also add in-home voice service with purchase of the Clear Voice Adapter. There are 3 packages to choose from – Basic Home Clear Internet with Voice, Get Two, or Get Three – all with flat monthly rates.
- Clear Spot: With the Clear Spot, any existing, off-the-shelf Wi-Fi device (compatible with 802.11b/g) can connect to CLEAR’s mobile WiMAX network. The Clear Spot creates a personal Wi-Fi hotspot that travels with consumers anywhere they happen to be within CLEAR’s mobile WiMAX service area. This $139.99 device is a portable, battery-powered router that seamlessly connects up to eight standard Wi-Fi-enabled devices (computers, mobile phones, portable gaming, consoles, cameras, etc.) to the Internet via a Clear USB modem to access CLEAR’s mobile WiMAX network. The Clear Spot is compatible with both the Clear 4G and Clear 4G+ mobile USB dual-mode service options.
- Intel Embedded WiMAX Laptops: The Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook featuring the Intel(R) AtomTM processor N450 with embedded 4G technology is now available for customers through select CLEAR retail locations, telesales and http://www.clear.com. This addition further extends the company’s leadership in 4G mobile computing. Clearwire customers can also select from one of 30 different 4G-ready Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 embedded netbooks and notebooks from leading manufacturers including Dell, Lenovo, Fujitsu, Samsung, and Toshiba. The Mini 10 is available for $249.99 after instant rebate.
CLEAR’s 4G Markets in 2010
CLEAR’s 4G network will expand to numerous markets around the country, and services will be offered by different service providers depending on the market. Some of the planned 4G markets in 2010 include New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Miami, Denver, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Salt Lake City, St. Louis, Pittsburg and Kansas City.
For more information about CLEAR, visit http://www.clear.com. You can also follow CLEAR information on Twitter at @Clear_Events. Detailed company information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
For press and broadcast: Product images, video footage and company logos can be downloaded from the Clearwire website at: http://newsroom.clearwire.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=214419&p=imagegallery.
Clearwire Communications LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), is a leading provider of mobile broadband services. Clearwire’s 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where 41 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire’s open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its service through its own brand called CLEAR(R) as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash., additional information is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management’s current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management’s expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words “will,” “would,” “may,” “should,” “estimate,” “project,” “forecast,” “intend,” “expect,” “believe,” “target,” “designed,” “plan” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum.
- If our business fails to perform as we expect, or if we elect to pursue new plans or strategies, we may be required to raise substantial additional financing, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we may need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We are committed to using commercially reasonable efforts to deploy wireless broadband networks based solely on mobile WiMAX technology, even if there are alternative technologies available in the future that are technologically superior or more cost effective.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading “Risk Factors” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Clearwire Communications, LLC
Clearwire Communications, LLC Chris Comes, 847-993-9661 312-282-0539 (mobile) email@example.com or JLM Partners for CLEAR Mike DiGioia, 206-381-3600 206-819-9032 (mobile) firstname.lastname@example.org