[Shenzhen, China, April 20, 2023] At the 2023 Huawei Global Analyst Summit today, industrial organizations, industry analysts, leading operators and enterprises, and Huawei discussed F5.5G industry development strategies and application scenarios in depth during the “Embracing F5.5G to Lead 10Giga City with Innovation” forum.
To meet network connection requirements for higher-than-gigabit bandwidth, ETSI released the F5G Advanced and Beyond White Paper in 2022, and WBBA (World Broadband Association) released the next-generation broadband development roadmap. The evolution from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps has gradually become a consensus in the industry.
Richard Jin, President of Huawei Optical Business Product Line, said: “Oriented to F5.5G, from Giga network to 10Giga city, Huawei believes that all-optical 10Giga city will start in five scenarios — home, enterprise, machine, computing, and sensing. We encourage the entire industry to cooperate in standard formulation, policy promotion, technological innovation, and ecosystem application in order to jointly build 10Giga cities and stride into an intelligent world.
- Home: The emergence of new applications such as ultra-HD video, XR, metaverse, and cloud desktop requires higher bandwidth, lower latency, and higher reliability of home broadband. Taking an 8K naked-eye 3D TV as an example, to implement H.264-compressed multi-view imaging, an access bandwidth of over 3 Gbps is required.
- Enterprise: Smart campus applications require improved network capabilities. For example, applications such as digital-assisted diagnosis and treatment, multi-camera live broadcast of sports events, and holographic interactive design require 10G all-optical network to provide enterprises with access bandwidth higher than 1 Gbps and network latency lower than 10 ms.
- Machine: With the digital upgrade of industries such as electric power, manufacturing, and port, future industrial production requires a 10G all-optical production network that supports intelligent connection of everything. Such a network delivers bandwidth in excess of 10 Gbps, latency lower than 1 ms, and jitter lower than 20 μs jitter for ultra-HD AOI quality check and production line PLC.
- Computing: With the rapid development of cloud computing, the network bandwidth between data centers and users increases rapidly, and the latency requirement becomes more and more stringent. A 10G network uses the simplified architecture of 400G backbone network, 100G metro access, and all-optical grooming to reduce transmission power consumption and make cloud computing power a ready-to-use resource.
- Sensing: The optical fiber sensing capability enables fiber digitalization and accurately locates faults, achieving visible and manageable fiber networks and improving network operation efficiency. On the basis of home broadband access, the laser 3D optical sensing technology can dynamically monitor the elderly for falls, helping protect their health.
Looking ahead, industry experts are calling on all parties in the industry to continuously promote innovative services and experiences. Richard Mahony, a member of WBBA and Vice President of Informa Tech, said that WBBA accelerate timely emergence of next generation broadband everywhere, that delivers a sustainable long-term ROI for all industries. Ao Li, Chief Engineer of China Academy of Information and Communications Technology (CAICT), stated that the F5G-A era represented by 10G optical networks is accelerating and will build a solid digital infrastructure for home, enterprise, cloud, and computing services.