Company raised USD$3 billion in funding, began development of four campuses and opened 13 new data centers during the year
DENVER (Jan. 26, 2023) – Vantage Data Centers, a leading global provider of hyperscale data center campuses, continued its unprecedented growth in 2022, outperforming its previous record set in 2021. The company began developing four new campuses in Montreal, Berlin, Frankfurt and South Africa and opened 13 data centers across North America, EMEA and Asia Pacific, all supported by more than USD$3 billion of debt and equity financing raised throughout the year, including USD$368 million in green loans to advance sustainable developments in Quebec City, Canada, and Northern Virginia.
“Vantage experienced explosive growth over the past year as we continued to remain hyper focused on meeting customer demand for sustainable digital infrastructure around the world,” said Sureel Choksi, president and CEO of Vantage Data Centers. “We appreciate the trust that our customers placed in us, as well as the confidence that our investors continue to have in our ability to execute.”
“The team at Vantage has built a world-class portfolio of hyperscale data centers, supporting the continued growth of the largest global technology companies as they scale their businesses to meet global market demand,” said Marc Ganzi, president and CEO of DigitalBridge. “Vantage is an industry innovator, and with the support of our team at DigitalBridge, will continue to grow and deliver reliability, efficiency and sustainability for the benefit of their hyperscale customers.”
North American Expansion: Vantage opened seven new data centers across its inaugural region of North America while continuing its aggressive expansion to keep pace with customer requirements.
- Canada: With a CAD$900M investment in Canadian operations, Vantage began development of a third Montreal campus while expanding existing campuses in Montreal and Quebec City. Upon completion, Vantage’s four Canadian campuses will total 143MW.
- Phoenix: Vantage broke ground on phase two of its growing Phoenix campus. Once fully developed, the mega campus will offer hyperscalers and large cloud providers 160MW of IT capacity across three facilities.
- New Facilities: Vantage opened new data centers in many of its North American markets, including Virginia, Arizona, Washington, California, Montreal and Quebec City.
EMEA Expansion: Vantage opened its first campuses in South Africa and Poland while launching new investments in solar and wind power.
- South Africa: Vantage opened its first African data center campus in Johannesburg, South Africa, offering 16MW of IT capacity and announced the development of a second Johannesburg campus that will consist of 20MW of IT capacity.
- Poland: The company opened its first data center campus in Poland. Once fully developed, the two-data center development will offer 48MW of IT capacity.
- Germany: Vantage announced four new data center openings in Frankfurt and Berlin along with a new business office in Raunheim.
APAC Expansion: Since entering the region just over one year ago, Vantage has made significant strides to meet rising demand for digital infrastructure in APAC.
- Cyberjaya: Vantage announced the delivery of a second data center (KUL12) on its Cyberjaya campus in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The company concurrently announced plans to continue expanding the campus with a third facility (KUL13), which will open its doors in the first half of 2023.
- Hong Kong: In November, Vantage announced the opening of a new Hong Kong office, serving as the regional hub to house engineering, construction, sales, finance and accounting, and leadership functions to support the company’s business across APAC.
Advancements in Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)
Vantage continued to make significant sustainability gains, partnering with local organizations and employing innovative techniques to achieve the company’s commitment to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2030.
- Green Loans: Vantage secured more than US$368 million in green loans from Societe Generale to drive sustainable developments in Virginia and Canada.
- The Climate Pledge: Vantage signed The Climate Pledge as a symbol of its commitment to regularly measure and report on greenhouse gas emissions and implement decarbonization strategies across every campus.
- Expansion of Renewable Energy Use: Vantage took many steps to increase its use of renewables across the globe, including entering a power purchase agreement with SolarAfrica to support the production of 87MWp of renewable energy to supplement the local grid.
- Innovation: Vantage tested several innovative sustainability and decarbonization solutions, including the use of waste heat. At its Zurich campus, the company is exploring ways to help the neighboring community by exporting waste heat into the local district heat network for use by adjacent buildings. In addition, Vantage implemented Hydro-treated Vegetable Oil (HVO), also known as “clean diesel,” at its Cardiff, U.K., campus and plans to continue its introduction across the globe wherever possible.
- Safety: Vantage safely managed more than 9.8 million work hours on construction projects and in fully operational facilities to achieve a world-class incident rate 90 percent lower than the average.
- ESG Reporting: Vantage released its first annual Environmental, Social and Governance report detailing the company’s initiatives to reach its sustainability goals while promoting an equitable, safe workplace rooted in transparency, accountability and compliance.
To keep pace with its growth, Vantage’s employee base increased by more than 60% ending the year with more than 1,000 employees around the world. The company scaled its leadership team with the addition of multiple global executives, naming Patricia Elias as chief people and culture officer, Purnima Wagle as the company’s first chief information officer and promoting Ismail Alsheik to chief legal officer.
Today, Vantage has 26 campuses spanning five continents, 12 countries and 18 markets with IT capacity totaling nearly 1.5GW once all campuses are fully developed.
About Vantage Data Centers
Vantage Data Centers powers, cools, protects and connects the technology of the world’s well-known hyperscalers, cloud providers and large enterprises. Developing and operating across five continents in North America, EMEA and Asia Pacific, Vantage has evolved data center design in innovative ways to deliver dramatic gains in reliability, efficiency and sustainability in flexible environments that can scale as quickly as the market demands.
For more information, visit www.vantage-dc.com.
Vantage Data Centers
REQ for Vantage Data Centers
PR Archives: Latest, By Company, By Date