Nokia tests mission-critical voice and data on 4.9G/LTE private wireless network for NCRTC’s phase 1
- National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC*) is using Nokia solutions to set up the Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) to reduce travel time between Delhi and Meerut
- LTE network is being used for the first time in the world to support European Train Control System (ETCS) Level 2 signalling for improved reliability and speed
04 August 2022
New Delhi, India – Nokia today announced that it has successfully completed testing of voice and data call, over the world’s first 4.9G/LTE private wireless network to support European Train Control System (ETCS) Level 2 Signalling, for phase 1 of NCRTC’s Regional Rapid Transit System. The project, covering 82 km rail route with 25 stations between Delhi and Meerut, will be implemented in four stages and will be completed by 2025.
4.9G/LTE’s ability to support advanced broadband applications makes it the technology of choice to support mission-critical voice signalling. This is a world first application of an LTE network that is being used along with ETCS Level 2 signalling to provide high-speed, high-reliability commuter service. In addition, ETCS Level 2 based system allows trains to report their precise location in real-time which will further help to send alerts to the commuters by sharing the trains’ exact location and decrease the waiting time at the train stations.
As part of the agreement, Nokia will provide Nokia Evolved Packet Core (EPC), Compact Mobile Unit (CMU), NetAct, Network Services Platform (NSP), installation and commissioning services and integration services. Nokia will also deliver Operation Control Center (OCC) and Back-up Control Center (BCC) to ensure seamless operations. Nokia is partnering with Alstom for implementing this private network.
Thameem Kamaldeen, Signalling Director, at Alstom India, said: “We are pleased to work with Nokia on this exciting project for NCRTC to provide high-speed connectivity between New Delhi and Meerut. The initiative will significantly transform the region by opening new opportunities for citizens while providing a sustainable and safer travel option for them.”
Kamal Ballout, Head of Enterprise Solutions CHIMEA (China, India, Middle East and Africa) at Nokia, said: “We have worked closely with major railway operators to bring the benefits of private LTE connectivity and pave the way for the adoption and deployment of Future Railway Mobile Communication System (FRMCS). As India’s trusted telecom vendor, we are thrilled to partner with NCRTC for the deployment of a high-speed LTE network between Meerut and New Delhi and are looking forward to building a world’s first for NCRTC*.“
Nokia has deployed mission-critical networks to more than 2,200 leading enterprise customers in the transport, energy, large enterprise, manufacturing, webscale, and public sector segments around the globe. It has also extended its expertise to more than 485 large private wireless customers worldwide across an array of sectors and has been cited by numerous industry analysts as the leading provider of private wireless networking worldwide.
- Web page: Nokia NetAct
- Web page: Nokia Compact Mobility Unit (CMU)
- Web page: Network Services Platform
- Web page: Railways
- Press Release: Nokia and Alstom to deploy private wireless to support safe, sustainable travel along high-speed commuter rail network in India
At Nokia, we create technology that helps the world act together.
As a trusted partner for critical networks, we are committed to innovation and technology leadership across mobile, fixed and cloud networks. We create value with intellectual property and long-term research, led by the award-winning Nokia Bell Labs.
Adhering to the highest standards of integrity and security, we help build the capabilities needed for a more productive, sustainable and inclusive world.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
* Note to editor: National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC), a joint venture company of the Government of India and the states of Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh is implementing Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) across National Capital Region (NCR) to ensure sustainable urban development.