DENVER, Feb. 3, 2022 – Residents in Sumter County, Florida, now have access to Next Generation 911 (NG911) services following a recent move to modernize the county’s emergency call management system.
- Sumter County selected Lumen Technologies (NYSE: LUMN) to deliver its NG911 solutions.
- The county’s transformation to the Lumen NG911 platform improves the delivery of emergency calls and helps reduce response time by using available data to more accurately pinpoint and route a caller’s location, so first responders can better assist during an emergency.
- Home to one of the nation’s fastest-growing metros, The Villages, Sumter County’s newly implemented NG911 system represents the latest in public safety technology.
“We know when someone calls 911, seconds count. We are proud to be one of the few 911 network providers who can enable others to fully leverage those seconds and minutes in real time and better serve citizens and first responders when they need help the most,” said Sonia Ramsey, Lumen’s vice president for the state and local government and education market. “We’re grateful Sumter County selected Lumen to deliver a more robust, reliable and resilient NG911 system for their residents and visitors.”
“This technology is an important step forward. The 911 call center is the primary method for the public to contact our first responders during an emergency,” said Stephen Kennedy, Assistant County Administrator for Sumter County. “The addition of this NG911 system in Sumter County will enhance our existing infrastructure and our commitment to public safety and our community.”
As part of the county’s transformation to a NG911 system, Lumen is providing Sumter County with an emergency services redundant IP-based network that sits on the company’s network backbone. The company is also providing software-defined wide area network services, IP-based software and applications, and core call routing services.
Lumen’s NG911 platform can meet all current national i3 standards established by the National Emergency Number Association and serves as a model for NG911 systems used by states, counties, cities, towns and military bases around the country.
The company’s NG911 platform is powered by Lumen’s tier 1, carrier-class, public safety grade network that links together emergency call routing intelligence, public safety applications and network management services. Lumen’s network architecture also positions customers to take advantage of additional benefits from NG911 systems that are expected to evolve over time.
- Learn more about an award recognizing Lumen’s NextGen911 platform for improving emergency call delivery: https://news.lumen.com/2021-06-30-Award-recognizes-Lumen-NextGen911-platform-for-improving-emergency-call-delivery
- For more information about the State of Nebraska selecting Lumen to provide Next Gen 911 to the state: https://news.lumen.com/2021-01-25-Lumen-chosen-to-provide-Next-Gen-911-to-State-of-Nebraska
- For more information about the company being chosen by the State of California to deliver a faster, more reliable 911 system: https://news.lumen.com/2019-10-15-CenturyLink-Chosen-by-State-of-California-to-Deliver-Faster-More-Reliable-911-System
- Learn more about how Lumen serves public safety through tech:
About Lumen Technologies: Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With approximately 450,000 route fiber miles and serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences.
Learn more about the Lumen network, edge cloud, security, communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com/home, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies. Learn more about Lumen’s public sector capabilities on Twitter at @lumengov and on LinkedIn at @lumenpublicsector. Lumen and Lumen Technologies are registered trademarks in the United States.