ANRITSU CORPORATION (“Anritsu”) announces that it resolved to acquire 99.7% of the issued shares of TAKASAGO,LTD. (“Takasago”), a subsidiary of NEC Corporation (“NEC”) from NEC at the Board of Directors meeting held on July 30, 2021. Accordingly, Anritsu entered into a stock purchase agreement with NEC on July 30, 2021. The transaction is expected to close in January 2022.
Outline of Takasago
Company Name: TAKASAGO,LTD.
Headquarter: 1-24-16, Mizonokuchi, Takatsu-ku, Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa, Japan
Foundation: July 25, 1950
President: Norihiko Uesugi
Capital: JPY 120 million
Number of employees: 217（as of June 15, 2020）
Business overview: R&D, manufacture and sales of power supply, electronic load equipment [*1], Information Communication equipment, Communication control equipment, and their application system products.
Factory: Tsuruoka-shi, Yamagata, Japan
Purpose of the stock acquisition
Towards realization of a carbon neutral society, efforts such as electrification of internal combustion engines[*2] of those such as automotive, utilization of renewable energies[*3] and power saving of infrastructures are accelerating worldwide. In these fields, Research and Development as well as production activities to resolve issues of quality assurances that ensure performance improvement, adequate durability, and safety are being intensified, hence the demands for test systems that enable precise control of electrical energy have become apparent. Also, in order to increase development efficiencies, the importance of test equipment that can simulate and reproduce the operation environment of samples under test[*4] has become critical especially in automotive industry.
Anritsu has listed “electric vehicles and battery measurement” as one of the key growth areas in our mid-term business plan GLP2023. Anritsu Group welcomes Takasago who has industry leading electrical energy control technology[*5] for high voltage, large current and large capacity as well as business relationships with leading customers in the industry as the core to cultivate this area. By synergizing them with test system design technologies and global operation Anritsu has built in its test and measurement business we will support the test needs of customers in the advancing and globalizing field of electric vehicles and battery measurement aiming contribution to the realization of carbon neutral societies.
- [*1] power supply, electronic load equipment
- Power supplies and electronic load equipment mentioned in this release refer to power supplies that output preset currents and voltages and equipment that consume (load) preset currents and voltages mainly used for testing industrial products. The setting range, accuracy, response speed, etc. differ depending on the product.
- [*2] electrification of internal combustion engines
- It is expected that not only automobiles but also motorcycles, ships, aircraft, agricultural machinery, heavy construction machinery, and other systems driven by internal combustion engines will become more electrified.
- [*3] utilization of renewable energies
- In order to introduce renewable energy, it is necessary to convert the generated DC electricity into AC electricity of a predetermined standard and supply it into the home electrical wiring and power grid, therefore, electric power equipment manufacturers develop and manufacture equipment such as rectifiers. Power supplies and electronic load equipment are used to improve the performance of these equipment and enable efficient use of renewable energies.
- [*4] samples under test
- Test samples used in the experiments to verify performance and quality.
- [*5] electrical energy control technology
- It refers to controlling the current and voltage to the desired levels using the power supply and electronic load devices. For example, in a battery test in simulated electric vehicle operation environment, power supply and electrical load devices play the role of simulating the current and voltage required by powertrain parts.
Note: This document has been translated from the Japanese original for reference purposes only. In the event of any discrepancy between this translated document and the Japanese original, the original shall prevail.