[Shanghai, China, February 22, 2021] At the DAY0 Digital Operation Transformation Forum of MWC Shanghai 2021, Bill Tang, President of Huawei Global Technical Service, proposed a new digital strategy to accelerate the digital transformation of carriers through four domains synergy, namely, services，platform，technology and ecosystem.
This digital transformation strategy will provide new efficiencies and encourage continued innovation in service offerings. The strategy focuses on nurturing digital talent to provide an opportunity of real systematic transformation across entire organizations.
The development of 5G and intelligent technologies allows digital transformation of productivity and manufacturing at a faster pace. Which in turn means carriers have new requirements to meet through their services and data provision. The operation and maintenance (O&M) of carrier capability systems must have a three-layer architecture which spans operations across resources, services, and end user services. Each layer needs self-governing and closed loop control. This architecture will lead to a better user experience and a more agile full-lifecycle operation, thereby maximizing resource efficiency and new service growth.
During the event, Bill Tang said, ‘Carriers can gain new synergies from each of the four domains of digital transformation: services, platform, technology, and ecosystem. This will increase efficiency, inspire new innovative services, and deepen transformation. When it comes to digital transformation, the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts – we should seek to transform all four domains to benefit from technological synergies.’
During his keynote speech, Bill Tang, describes the synergy needed within each domain:
- Services: As market changes accelerate traditional planning, construction, maintenance, optimization, and operations need to be agile and dynamic. However, the existing mode of operations cannot effectively support the increasing number of personalized new services. For example, to enable network dynamics with services and integrate grid-based door-to-door maintenance and marketing, process breakpoints need to be streamlined based on the user activity.
- Platform: A unified platform architecture generates greater data intelligence that can be leveraged for more informed decision making. Each business department can take quick action with micro-innovation mode. Iterative optimization on the platform will accelerate the transformation from people-based collaboration to platform-based digital collaboration of data, assets, and intelligence, reducing the resistance to transformation.
- Technology: The development of digital technology across devices, pipe, cloud, and intelligence etc. will greatly help carriers improve traditional workflows. By introducing digital technology into each process, the human-based, static, and passive workflows will gradually be transformed to intelligent, dynamic, and active workflows.
- Ecosystem: The adoption of a flexible ecosystem in conjunction with an innovation model combines the core competencies of service providers to accelerate digital transformation. Huawei provides the platform and automation technologies. This frees up resources for partners and carriers to concentrate on providing their core offering.
Bill Tang emphasized that digital transformation is something everyone needs to take part in for there to be a beneficial effect. He revealed that digitalization of Huawei GTS has improved through a direct result of the initiative for transformation called “Digital GTS” which was implemented in 2016 to embrace the digital technology and automate relevant processes. Over the past four years, this initiative has produced a reliable approach to progress:
- First, we identify pain points within key business nodes. Then we suggest implementing technological solutions where appropriate.
- In terms of line aspect, we streamline existing isolated systems through the platform. Then, the network intelligence platform (GDE) connects multiple service scenarios and implements automation and intelligence on a wider scale through automatic data transfer.
- Finally, the platform is the core to achieving digital synergy in multiple domains of services, data, and ecosystem which will continuously accelerate digital transformation.
During the MWC Shanghai 2021, Huawei also upgraded the HUAWEI SmartCare® solution to provide more open, intelligent, and efficient digital capabilities. The first step is Huawei provides the data and network capabilities to enable carriers and ecosystem partners to orchestrate data and network capabilities through low-code tool chains which enables application innovation. Secondly, the platform has more than 30 built-in “out-of-the-box” intelligent models, enabling automatic handling of repeat problems and intelligent handling of complex problems. Finally, the platform upgrades core algorithm technologies such as intelligent tidal scheduling and intelligent hot and cold data cache identification, further improving data computing resource utilization. These three upgrades enable Huawei to accelerate the implementation of digital transformation of carriers’ O&M operations from the perspective of experience.
At the end of the forum, Huawei released the T-BIM (Telecom-Building Information Modeling) whitepaper which defined the telecom site IT model. This definition of standard interfaces enables the integrity and effectiveness of information use in cross-system and cross-domain collaboration, driving adoption of engineering standards, improving asset operation control efficiency, and laying a foundation for future industry development.
Huawei will continue to work with tower companies, carriers, and industry partners to achieve mutually beneficial results across the entire industry chain and unleash new values of digital sites through innovation.
MWC Shanghai 2021 runs from February 23 to February 25 in Shanghai, China. Huawei showcases its products and solutions at booth E10, E50, and E90 in Hall N1 in the Shanghai New International Expo Centre (SNIEC). For more information, please visit: https://carrier.huawei.com/en/events/mwcs2021.