GlobalNet, a leading telecommunications company in Russia, recently upgraded its flexible grid network with Ciena’s (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) coherent optical technology. This upgrade allows GlobalNet to offer unique, high-performance connectivity services to its customers.
- GlobalNet offers connectivity services to communication operators and corporate clients in high-bandwidth sectors, including content delivery, media and storage. To support its customer needs, GlobalNet recently deployed Ciena’s WaveLogic 5 Extreme (WL5e), which allows GlobalNet customers to provide reliable, flexible and cost-efficient access to higher-quality bandwidth to interconnect data centers.
- Following the upgrade, GlobalNet achieved significant efficiency improvements across its flexible grid network and more than doubled the speed of delivered bandwidth to its customers. GlobalNet achieved industry leading capacity across all links in its network, including 600Gb/s between Moscow and St. Petersburg and 800Gb/s to interconnect data centers in St. Petersburg.
- GlobalNet deployed WL5e on Ciena’s Waveserver 5 compact interconnect platform, which is optimized for efficient 100GbE/400GbE client services connectivity across any distance, addressing requirements of the most demanding data services and applications.
- “The launch of 800Gb/s will enable us to tap into industry-leading innovations to set new standards for GlobalNet network performance. In today’s fast-paced world, the operator needs to provide subsequent capabilities to meet customer’s rapidly changing needs. With WaveLogic 5, we implemented the first 800G solution in Russia and strengthened our leadership in providing the highest performance optical connections to the market.”
– Vladimir V. Vedeneev, Chief Executive Officer, GlobalNet
- “Across the globe, service providers are looking for ways to reduce the cost per bit and speed the delivery of new services. Ciena’s WaveLogic 5 helps put GlobalNet ahead of the curve by creating a more robust and adaptive network that can satisfy customer demands today and into the future.”
– Yaniv Hagadish, Regional Manager in EMEA, Ciena
GlobalNet is an international backbone telecom operator. Their infrastructure includes communication lines in Europe and Asia. One of the company’s services is DATAIX -Internet exchange network between telecom operators and content providers in Russia, Europe and Asia. GlobalNet has over 30 connection points over a single traffic exchange network located in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Germany, Sweden, Finland and the Netherlands. There are more than 400 ASNs included in peering, where 80% are telecom operators, 20% are content providers. The current total GlobalNet network load is over 3 Tbps.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services and software company. We provide solutions that help our customers create the Adaptive Network™ in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most agile networks with automation, openness and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.