BOULDER, Colo., May 29, 2020 -- As families gather and simultaneously use their broadband connections for work, learning and entertainment, the CenturyLink network is keeping pace with the increased demand and growing - recently connecting more than 14,000 additional homes in Boulder to gigabit internet speeds following the completion of a fiber optic construction project started in 2019.
“As technology moves at a breakneck pace, Boulder welcomes CenturyLink’s infrastructure improvements for benefiting small businesses and homes alike,” said Andrea Meneghel, director of public affairs, Boulder Chamber of Commerce. “CenturyLink is an important economic partner for Boulder and this fiber gigabit expansion gives our community a tremendous advantage with more broadband availability and faster speeds, positioning us ahead of today’s standards and preparing our community for future innovations.”
The Boulder project provides fast and reliable Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH) internet service with gigabit speeds to residents and some businesses in the area helping them keep up with surging internet use.
“Working together to overcome this disruption of our daily lives, the internet connection is more important than ever. Powering homes, businesses, education health care and entertainment, it is crucial to our lives right now,” said Guy Gunther, senior director consumer fiber markets, CenturyLink. “CenturyLink Fiber Gigabit can provide the capacity customers need, now and into the future, connecting people to work from home, distance learning, telemedicine, video entertainment, gaming and more. Boulder residents need the fiber technology to efficiently support all these connections and be ready for what lies ahead, and CenturyLink is here to provide a fast, reliable connection.”
Fiber optic-based internet services are made possible by connecting fiber optic cable directly to homes and businesses using Fiber to the Home (FTTH) technology. FTTH technology benefits every type of user, from the serious gamer to the self-employed business owner. CenturyLink’s fiber internet services include rapid upload/download speeds, as well as the ability to support multiple users on multiple devices simultaneously.
Boulder residents who wish to learn more about CenturyLink Fiber Gigabit and sign up for the service can visit:www.centurylink.com/boulderfiber.
The benefits of fiber technology
- Provides symmetrical speeds allowing users to upload and download content at up to 940 megabits per second.
- Provides enough power to simultaneously download music and movies while gaming and streaming HD and 4K content, with virtually no lag time.
- May have a positive impact on property values, education, business and future economic development.
- Can easily handle the current and future demands of numerous connected devices in homes and businesses.
- Fiber Gigabit service will allow customers to quickly download content:
- Photos (5 MB) in 0.04 seconds
- Music (70 MB) in .56 seconds
- TV shows (175 MB) in 1.49 seconds
- Movies (700 MB) in 5.9 seconds
- In addition, customers with Fiber Gigabit service will be able to back up a 16 GB smartphone in 2.27 minutes.
- Currently in the U.S., there are approximately 8 networked devices per person, a number expected to climb to 13.6 per person by 2022 according to the Cisco Visual Networking Index
- Data also shows home values may increase when connected to a fiber internet service.
- Visit www.centurylink.com/boulderfiber for more information about the project.
CenturyLink (NYSE:CTL, news, filings) is a technology leader delivering hybrid networking, cloud connectivity, and security solutions to customers around the world. Through its extensive global fiber network, CenturyLink provides secure and reliable services to meet the growing digital demands of businesses and consumers. CenturyLink strives to be the trusted connection to the networked world and is focused on delivering technology that enhances the customer experience. Learn more at http://news.centurylink.com/.
SOURCE CenturyLink Inc.