- PTCL to build Pakistan’s first high-performance 200G network with Nokia’s 1830 Photonic Service Switch (PSS)
- PTCL’s enterprise subscribers as well as individual users will enjoy better speeds and an overall superior broadband experience
27 January 2019
Islamabad, Pakistan – Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL) has deployed Nokia’s technology to expand the capacity of recently installed 100G transport network to 200G optical network for both domestic and international traffic. This capacity expansion has been carried out in the major cities of Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi to keep pace with the growing demands of capacity created by ever-increasing consumption of broadband by individuals as well as enterprises.
With this, PTCL becomes the first operator in Pakistan to deploy high-performance 200G 8 Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) in the country, an optical long-haul technology offering more capacity at lower cost.
The upgradation of its optical network allows PTCL to proactively address the growing demands of bandwidth, enabling its enterprise and individual users in Pakistan’s largest cities to use high-bandwidth services and applications such as HD and 4K video. In addition, the network upgradation allows PTCL to flexibly enhance network capacity with the Software Defined Network (SDN) capabilities of the Nokia optical solution. Further, the unique flexgrid technology allows PTCL to easily upgrade to 300G or 400G in the future over the same installed base.
Saad Muzaffar Waraich, Chief Technology & Information Officer, PTCL, said: “Being consistently a top-class service provider involves continuously modernizing and upgrading the network as per the changing consumption patterns. In view of this, we have enhanced the existing capacity from 100G optical network to 200G to take care of the growing traffic in these cities. Nokia’s technology and expertise helped us to deploy 100G and enhance customer experience, so its 200G technology is also the right choice for expanding network capacity.”
Carlo Corti, Director of the Optics Business Development, MEA, Nokia, said: “Our field-proven technology enables PTCL, in its unwavering commitment, to provide the best-in-class network experience to its subscribers. It allows PTCL to differentiate its services based on quality. With our 200G technology, PTCL is now in a position to cost efficiently address the ever-growing demand for capacity.”
Overview of the solution deployed:
- Nokia 1830 PSS allows service providers to deploy services quickly and to maximize network capacity and efficiency.
- By using PTCL’s extensive fiber footprint, Nokia DWDM (Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing) network provides multipath redundancy against multiple fiber cuts hence ensuring higher network availability SLAs.
- Reconfigurable Optical Add-Drop Multiplexers (ROADMs) technology helps service providers to meet an unpredictable increase in traffic.
- 8-QAM increases spectral efficiency allowing service providers, like PTCL, to maximize the available resources. QAM is a method of combining two amplitude-modulated (AM) signals into a single channel, thereby increasing the effective bandwidth twofold.
- Nokia’s full turnkey services including network design, planning and optimization, project management of site acquisition, civil work construction, and network implementation were used to deploy the network.
- Web page: 1830 Photonic Service Switch
- Video: Nokia PSE Super Coherent Technology
- Web page: Optical networking
- Press release: PTCL builds 100G optical network in Pakistan with Nokia
- Blog: Next-generation Super Coherent technologies propel 200G for a long haul
We create the technology to connect the world. We develop and deliver the industry’s only end-to-end portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing that is available globally. Our customers include communications service providers whose combined networks support 6.1 billion subscriptions, as well as enterprises in the private and public sector that use our network portfolio to increase productivity and enrich lives.
Through our research teams, including the world-renowned Nokia Bell Labs, we are leading the world to adopt end-to-end 5G networks that are faster, more secure and capable of revolutionizing lives, economies and societies. Nokia adheres to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity. www.nokia.com
Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL) is the largest integrated Information Communication Technology (ICT) Company of Pakistan. With a humble start from a telephone and telegraph department in 1947, it has evolved to offer latest digital and telecommunication technologies today. It acts as the communication backbone for the country with the largest fiber cable network that spans from Khyber to Karachi and submarine cables connecting Pakistan to the world. PTCL has been assigned initial long term entity rating of ‘AAA’ (Triple A) and short term rating of ‘A-1+’ (A-One Plus). For more information, visit www.ptcl.com.pk
Nokia Media Relations
Phone: +971 529 823 406
Phone: +358 (0) 10 448 4900