The new deployment in Equinix’s IL2 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centre marks the company’s 14th with Equinix.
Istanbul, Dec. 16 2019 - Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ:EQIX, news, filings), the global interconnection and data center company today announced that DE-CIX, one of the world’s leading Internet Exchange (IX) operators, will move into Equinix’s IL2 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Istanbul. The deployment is set to grow DE-CIX’s Istanbul operations by enabling expanded carrier- and data centre-neutral Internet Exchange services in the region.
DE-CIX provides premium interconnection services and operates more than 20 neutral Internet Exchanges in Europe, India, Southeast Asia, the Middle East and North America. The company’s Frankfurt Internet Exchange is the largest IX worldwide in terms of peak traffic – with a maximum data throughput of more than 7.8 terabits per second.
By moving into Equinix’s IL2 data center, DE-CIX will be able to leverage Equinix’s Metro Connect services to provide direct, dedicated, carrier-grade network links between Turkey’s MedNautilus subsea cable landing station and IL2. These cable systems enable accelerated traffic globalization and data consumption, as well as rapid growth of cloud and online services.
Customers at the IL2 data center now only need a cross connect in place to directly connect with DE-CIX Istanbul. They can also benefit from peering with networks in Turkey and utilize additional interconnection services like DE-CIX DirectCLOUD. DE-CIX customers operating in the Turkish market will now have regional interconnection points via Equinix.
The deployment will also enable DE-CIX customers to access Equinix’s colocation services. In tandem, Equinix customers joining DE-CIX will be able to connect on-location to directly exchange traffic, or peer, with DE-CIX's member base. This will take place via Equinix’s Internet Exchange™, which enables networks, content providers and large enterprises to exchange internet traffic through the largest global peering solution, across more than 30 markets. It not only gives Equinix customers access to a rich interconnection ecosystem of hundreds of networks, large enterprises, cloud and IT service providers, it helps increase performance through reduced network hops and congestion, and gives control to create and manage connections on demand through a globally consistent portal.
- With a population of 14.4 million people, Istanbul is the largest European urban region. It has a fast-growing economy and its dense route of cable systems gives access to close to 50% of the world’s population.
- Equinix’s IL2 data center is strategically located across two continents – Europe and Asia – and provides access to enterprises looking to gain a competitive business advantage across multiple markets within MENA, Europe, Central Asia and the Caucasus. According to the third volume of the Global Interconnection Index, this competitive advantage is bolstered by interconnection bandwidth, which is predicted to grow at a 51% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) in Europe and at a 56% CAGR in Asia-Pacific.
- According to an independent survey by Equinix, 90% of IT decision-makers in Turkey report their organisations are expanding into new regions, countries or metros. Of those, 6 out of 10 (60%) say they plan on using virtual connections to support this.
- According to the same survey, 9 out of 10 (88%) IT decision-makers in Turkey consider digitalizing their IT infrastructure to be a priority for their organization’s technology strategy.
- In addition to the DE-CIX deployment, IL2 now also benefits from the expansion of Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™) to the market. This development provides an on-demand, SDN-enabled interconnection service that allows any business to connect between its own distributed infrastructure and any other company’s distributed infrastructure, including the world’s largest network service and cloud providers on Platform Equinix.
Ivo Ivanov, CEO of DE-CIX International, said:
“Extending our presence in Istanbul with our long-term partner Equinix, shows we are building robust, secure and reliable interconnection bridges across continents. Istanbul itself owns a unique strategic position within Eurasia and DE-CIX is here to strengthen this position with its customers and partners. We believe Istanbul is the interconnection gateway to Europe, Asia and Middle East, with a huge future potential.”
Keith Shaw, EMEA Business Development at Equinix, said:
“We are excited to be working with DE-CIX and look forward to helping them grow their presence in this flourishing market. The global surge in data has created a need for enterprises around the world to directly and securely connect with their partners, to enable the real-time transfer of data in a secure, scalable environment. As the world’s leading Internet Exchange operator, DE-CIX’s expanded presence with Equinix will be a key driver in facilitating digital transformation across the region.”
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. On this global platform for digital business, companies come together across more than 50 markets on five continents to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone and integrate everything they need to create their digital futures. www.equinix.com.
DE-CIX is the world’s leading Internet Exchange operator. Having started operations in 1995, DE-CIX in Frankfurt am Main is the Internet Exchange (IX) with the world’s highest data throughput at peak times, at more than 7.8 Terabits per second (Tbps). Its technical infrastructure has a total capacity of 48 Terabits.
In total, DE-CIX serves over 1,800 network operators, Internet service providers (ISPs), and content providers from more than 100 countries with peering and interconnection services at 20+ locations in Europe, the Middle East, India, Asia and North America. Further information at www.de-cix.net
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix products and solutions; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenues from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; a failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; risks related to our taxation as a REIT; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.