HANOVER, Md. — September 10, 2018
Tele2 Netherlands, a leading regional telecommunications service provider, recently deployed Ciena’s (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) WaveLogic Ai coherent optical solution to increase the capacity of its network, lower operating costs and support a tremendous increase in mobile video data traffic driven by Netflix™ and YouTube™.
- Tele2 Netherlands is a telecommunications service provider supporting the Dutch market. Tele2 Netherlands services both domestic and large enterprise customers, and manages a portfolio of fixed telephone, mobile phone, broadband and digital television products.
- Using Ciena’s 6500 packet-optical platform powered by WaveLogic Ai, the industry’s first programmable coherent modem that can scale to 400Gbps per wavelength, Tele2 Netherlands can deploy 300G and 400G wavelengths across most of its existing network. The platform enables Tele2 Netherlands to effectively address a significant surge of mobile data usage from customers who are taking advantage of the service provider’s unlimited bundles for voice and mobile internet services.
- WaveLogic Ai enables Tele2 Netherlands to leverage existing network assets and deliver up to forty times the bandwidth the network was originally designed to support. The service provider also benefits from a smaller footprint, reduced cost per bit and power consumption and lower cooling requirements.
- In addition, Ciena’s WaveLogic Ai provides Tele2 Netherlands new levels of intelligence and visibility into the network so it can adapt and make autonomous decisions to improve performance. For instance, WaveLogic Ai can help determine the optimal capacity for any path across the network and then match that capacity with tunability from 100G to 400G in 50G increments.
- “Our customers are constantly on the move, and making sure they are connected, be it via email, the web, social media, navigation or any other application, is our top priority. With Ciena’s WaveLogic Ai technology, we can support our customers today and seamlessly scale for future applications.”
– Meile de Haan, CTO, Tele2 Netherlands
- “Service providers around the world are taking significant steps to address their customers’ growing appetite for cloud-based services and mobile data, and Tele2 Netherlands is no exception. With WaveLogic Ai they can increase capacity, monitor, control, and ensure the network can adapt to accommodate changing user demands.”
– Frank Miller, CTO EMEA, Ciena
Ciena currently serves more than 160 customers and operates in more than 13 countries across the EMEA region. Ciena works with a number of leading operators in the region, including BT, Colt, Etisalat, Jisc, Orange, Unitymedia, Virgin Media, and Vodafone.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a networking systems, services, and software company. We provide solutions that help our clients create more adaptive networks in response to the constantly changing demands of their users. By delivering best-in-class networking technology through high-touch consultative relationships, we build the world’s most sophisticated networks with automation and scale. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual and quarterly reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.