LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM and MADRID, SPAIN--(Marketwired - December 05, 2017) - Juniper Networks, an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, and Telefónica, a leading global service provider, today announced a collaboration to develop the telecom leader's own vision of a Self-Driving Network™. This would be the next iteration of Telefónica's Fusión Network (in which Juniper is a key partner), the platform built to drive digital transformation for its customers across Spain.
To further improve the quality of services offered to Telefónica customers, this project will see the development and implementation of new tools and processes. The goal is to evolve Telefónica's infrastructure into one that can self-analyze, self-discover, self-configure and, ultimately, self-correct. This means that the detection and correction of network faults and anomalies will occur before they impact services and the customer experience. Similarly, this approach will help to improve the rapid, reliable mitigation of cyberattacks. It is expected to accelerate the speed of business and result in lower operating costs alongside improvements in security, reliability and resilience.
The journey of making this vision into a reality will be marked by several key milestones in which Telefónica will test several tools:
- Automation: Juniper Extension Toolkit (JET) covering all phases of network design, construction, provision and operation implemented with the extensive use of APIs and programming tools to deliver more programmatic interaction.
- Analysis: Junos Telemetry Interface and other resources required to accelerate the use of advanced telemetry to collect the data needed to detect the state of network resources and services. This includes capacity analysis, scenario simulation and detection, as well as prevention of network incidents.
- AI/Machine Learning: The final phase will be the introduction of control systems capable of exploiting real-time telemetry information and analysis tools. This will enable the network to suggest or even take actions appropriate to the demand and its state. This Self-Driving Network will use machine learning and artificial intelligence for the early detection of incidents and anomalies so that their correction is carried out before they impact performance or services.
"Juniper Networks is helping us take another step towards ensuring that we always have the necessary resources to offer the best service to our customers in a highly fluctuating environment. The adoption of machine learning, artificial intelligence and control systems will act to guarantee latency, speed and other relevant parameters are monitored, analyzed and addressed before they impact the performance of our network."
- Joaquín Mata, chief technology officer at Telefónica España
"The Self-Driving Network vision was conceived by Juniper Networks as a predictive autonomous network that adapts in real time to its environment. Telefónica inherently understands the need for a network that analyzes network conditions, diagnoses faults and security breaches, and proactively takes remedial action, all without human intervention. This helps eliminate the complex programming and management tasks required today to run a network and will free up IT staff to innovate new services."
- Kireeti Kompella, chief technology officer of engineering at Juniper Networks
Telefónica and Juniper Networks are already working on several use cases:
- Self-diagnosis and self-correction, allowing more reliable and faster responses to cyberattacks.
- The management of network resources based on machine learning algorithms so that the actions to be carried out are precise, efficient and fast.
- The dynamic creation of service instances oriented to quality of service agreements.
- Juniper.net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. Our team co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure networks with agility, performance and value. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Telefónica is one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world by market capitalization and number of customers with a comprehensive offering and quality of connectivity that is delivered over world class fixed, mobile and broadband networks. As a growing company it prides itself on providing a differential experience based both on its corporate values and a public position that defends customer interests.
The company has a significant presence in 20 countries and 344 million accesses around the world. Telefónica has a strong presence in Spain, Europe and Latin America, where the company focuses an important part of its growth strategy.
Telefónica is a 100% listed company, with more than 1.5 million direct shareholders. Its shares are traded on the Spanish Stock Market and on those in London, New York, Lima, and Buenos Aires.
Juniper Networks, the Juniper Networks logo, Juniper and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.