HANOVER, Md. — 11/8/2016
Ciena (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), a global leader in edge access devices and service delivery, is accelerating the move to virtualized architectures by introducing an open, distributed network functions virtualization (D-NFV) solution designed to rollout new applications and network services at cloud speed. Attendees at this week’s MEF16 event in Baltimore can see firsthand how Ciena’s new D-NFV solution allows network operators to quickly and reliably roll-out new virtual network services, such as SD-WAN, IP routing, firewalls, and encryption, from their preferred virtual network function (VNF) vendor.
At the event, Ciena will provide a proof-of-concept demonstration of its D-NFV solution in a multi-vendor network that includes Ciena’s Blue Orbit Ecosystem partner RAD, and Ciena BizConnectpartner CenturyLink.
- Available today, Ciena’s D-NFV solution allows for distributed virtualization by utilizing Blue Planet orchestration, new carrier-grade D-NFV Infrastructure (D-NFVI) software with a zero-touch deployment model, and a new 3906mvi including its pluggable x86 NFV Server Module. The D-NFVI software also can operate on third party COTS servers.
- Offering network operators greater choice and eliminating vendor lock-in, all elements of Ciena's D-NFVI solution can be mixed and matched with third party components, allowing operators to custom build a complete solution that best fits their needs.
- Further meeting customer requirements for increased openness and interoperability in multivendor environments, Ciena’s D-NFVI is rooted in carrier-grade software that improves upon OpenStack to deliver the high availability, reliability, security, and operational model that network operators require for distributed applications. The solution also includes a high-performance DPDK accelerated vSwitch with MEF CE2.0 compliance.
- Ciena customers can also choose from three performance variants of the new 3906mvi x86 NFV Server Modules for cost-optimized deployments that are matched to specific performance needs, and can even host D-NFVI software from third parties, helping to reduce the total cost of ownership.
- Operators can also leverage Ciena’s suite of Professional Services to help accelerate their transformation toward offering virtual network services in a rapid, reliable, and secure manner.
- “It is well known that network operators want to offset the threats from OTT players and declining network connectivity service revenues. D-NFV supports the worldwide operator #1 NFV use case of enterprise vCPE that provides the carrier goal of service agility. We believe that operators will want to examine the flexible mix-and-match openness of Ciena’s D-NFV solution that is designed to meet specific needs of individual service providers.”
- Michael Howard, Sr., Research Director and Advisor, Carrier Networks, IHS Markit
- “While many vendors on the market today offer various components of a D-NFV solution, Ciena is pioneering a complete solution that is both field-proven and innovative. Our open, D-NFV solution gives service providers the hardware, software, and professional services they need to offer distributed network services and expedites time to revenue, lowers overall costs, and eliminates vendor lock-in.”
- Steve Alexander, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Ciena
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.