HANOVER, Md. & HONG KONG–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
MobiFone Corporation, a leading mobile network operator in Vietnam, is leveraging Ciena® (CIEN) technology to build its first high-capacity converged packet-optical network, currently provisioned with 300Gbps, that spans more than 1,400 kilometers across the country from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. This will help MobiFone provide high-speed mobile broadband services to businesses and consumers in more than 25 local provinces.
- MobiFone will be able to easily scale and automatically adapt network capabilities to address traffic demands thanks to Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform equipped with WaveLogic 3 coherent technology and hybrid packet OTN switching.
- Additionally, the network will utilize Ciena’s intelligent control plane technology to ensure survivability even in the case of multiple fiber cuts, helping MobiFone ensure always-on connectivity to its end users.
- MobiFone will also have greater visibility and end-to-end control across its network to respond dynamically to changing traffic demands using Ciena’s network management platform.
- ELCOM, a Ciena BizConnect channel partner, provided deployment services for this project.
- “Ciena’s cutting-edge optical platforms enable us to have a state-of-art backbone system. Demand for high-speed fixed and mobile data services, video content and the move to the cloud mean that network services in Vietnam have never been more important. With Ciena supporting the next evolution of the MobiFone backbone we can provide the scale and reach our consumer and business customers need for regional and international connectivity.”
– Mr. Le Nam Tra, Chairman, MobiFone corporation
- “With Ciena’s converged packet-optical and control plane software platforms, MobiFone can deliver resilient, on-demand services as bandwidth demand continues to increase in Vietnam, driven by the aggregation of network traffic for mobile, data, voice, video and cable TV services.”
– Anthony McLachlan, Vice President and General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
MobiFone has come a long way since 1993, when we are the first mobile network operator in Vietnam. Today, it is our pleasure to be the communication way of nearly 50 million subscribers (about 30% of market share). In 2014, MobiFone Corporation’s revenue exceeded 2 billion dollars, which let us remain one of the three largest mobile operators in Vietnam. Since establishment, quality plays as a key strategy to all MobiFone leaders. We are honored to be awarded “The most favorite mobile operator” 6 years-in-a-row, which means MobiFone is trusted by customers.
Communicate is vital to all of us. Hence, MobiFone Corporation now provides a diverse range of services including mobile, data, internet, IPTV/cable TV, business solutions, infocomm technology (ICT), and investment. We understand, in an increasingly connected world, it’s no longer just about being able to talk and text.
Established in 1993, MobiFone was the first mobile network operator in Vietnam currently serving nearly 50 million mobile subscribers.
Ciena (CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.