100G next-generation network will meet increasing bandwidth and data center interconnect needs driven by Ultra HD video and colocation services
HANOVER, Md. — 05/11/2016
To support its recently announced efforts to offer new services like 4K TV and colocation solutions, Quebec-based telecommunications provider Videotron is deploying Ciena’s converged packet optical solution to upgrade its regional and backbone network. This deployment will allow Videotron to accommodate several terabits of traffic, meeting the surge of bandwidth required by internet and video applications. It will also enable flexible, low latency connectivity that ensures a superior end user experience.
- Videotron was the first Canadian telecommunications provider to offer its customers Ultra HD set-top boxes in 2015, and in February 2016, began carrying live sports programs in 4K definition, complementing its library of UHD offerings in movies, television, and more. In addition, Videotron recently announced the construction of a new Montreal data center to expand its service offerings to the business community, making it what is believed to be the only data center in Montreal designed and built specifically for data hosting.
- Videotron is deploying packet optical and software solutions from Ciena, including the6500 Packet-Optical Platform, which supports service delivery at 100G and beyond. Combined with Ciena’s WaveLogic 3 coherent optical processors, Videotron will be able to provide high speed, low latency connectivity between its Montreal data center and its existing data center in Quebec City, which will allow its business customers access to an expanded portfolio of services, including data hosting.
- Ciena’s integrated OTDR will provide greater network visibility and control, allowing Videotron to locate and address potential trouble spots remotely. Through real-time proactive monitoring of the fiber network, Videotron can reduce the risk of outrages and ensure maximum service availability.
- Additionally, Ciena’s Unified Management System will provide multi-layer network monitoring, and enable rapid and efficient service turn-up and troubleshooting.
- “As a trusted service provider throughout Quebec, we at Videotron foresaw the need to prepare our networks for the changing needs of our customers—both consumer and business. Ciena’s solutions will support our competitive strategy to provide the latest and most advanced offerings available – whether it’s for web-scale capabilities such as data hosting services or live, Ultra HD video.”
– Pierre Roy Porretta,Vice President of Engineering, Research and Development, Videotron
- “Providers of internet and video across the globe are feeling the impacts of the spike in bandwidth demand from end users. Videotron understands the role that a reliable, low-latency 100G network plays in supporting a future of rich media, 4K video and web-scale services. Powered by Ciena, Videotron’s network will handle multiple terabits of traffic while remaining flexible and responsive to demand changes.”
– Jason Phipps, General Manager and Vice President, North America, Ciena
Videotron (www.videotron.com), a wholly owned subsidiary of Quebecor Media Inc., is an integrated communications company engaged in cable television, interactive multimedia development, Internet access, cable telephone and mobile telephone services. Videotron is a leader in new technologies with its illico interactive television service and its broadband network, which supports high-speed cable Internet access, analog and digital cable television, and other services. As of December 31, 2015, Videotron was serving 1,736,900 cable television customers, including 1,570,600 Digital TV subscribers. Videotron is also the Québec leader in high-speed Internet access, with 1,568,200 subscribers to its cable service as of December 31, 2015. As of the same date, Videotron had 768,600 subscriber connections to its mobile telephone service and was providing cable telephone service to 1,316,300 Québec households and organizations. For the eleventh consecutive year, Videotron was ranked as Québec’s most respected telecommunications company, based on a Léger survey.
Ciena (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
+ (214) 995-8035
+1 (514) 380-7069