Submarine cable upgrade supports high-speed communication and data services
HANOVER, Md., USA and Dubai, UAE — 04/18/2016
Ciena® (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings) has been selected by KDDI Corporation for the Japan Information Highway (JIH) submarine cable upgrade to help meet surging demand driven by factors such as increased data communications. Deploying Ciena’s GeoMesh submarine solutions, KDDI will be able to provide high-capacity 100G services on its 3,000km link from Miyazaki-to-Okinawa and Shima-to-Okinawa.
- KDDI is enabling the high-capacity, cost-effective JIH submarine link with Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, powered by WaveLogic coherent optics, while Ciena’s unified management capability ensures an end-to-end view of the network for faster service turn-up, complete visibility of performance and remote troubleshooting.
- With Ciena’s WaveLogic coherent optics service providers like KDDI can efficiently scale their networks to support today’s surging web-scale demands driven by cloud computing, mobile connectivity and HD video.
- Since 1999 KDDI’s JIH submarine cable has been providing connectivity to the Japanese main islands. This enhancement will add significant capacity on this vital network route, ensuring that Japan has the scalability needed for future high-bandwidth services and applications; and maintain the country’s position with one of the fastest Internet connection speeds in the world according to Akamai Technologies.
- “Ciena’s cutting-edge optical transmission technologies enables JIH to be the state-of-art submarine cable systems. Demand for high-speed fixed and mobile data services, video content and the move to the cloud mean that network services in Japan have never been more important. With Ciena supporting the next evolution of the JIH submarine cable we can ensure the scale and reach our consumer and business customers need for regional and international connectivity.”
- Hidenori Takahashi, Manager, at KDDI
- “Cloud, mobility, big data, social media, and streaming video continue to put tremendous pressure on today’s networks, using significant bandwidth and calling for unprecedented levels of flexibility. Strengthening the JIH submarine cable with Ciena’s GeoMesh and coherent optics capabilities will help KDDI scale its network not just today, but for years to come.”
- Anthony McLachlan, Vice President & General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
KDDI Corporation is a leading Japanese telecommunications and ICT solution provider with 107 offices in 28 countries around the world and a Global Fortune company. Serving 40 million domestic mobile subscribers and over 3,000 large enterprises, KDDI provides a diverse portfolio consisting of managed networks, data centers, cloud, security and system integration. As a global ICT provider, KDDI design and build highly reliable unified infrastructure for the world's leading financial, media, manufacturing and professional IT services. With 16 subsidiary divisions in data management technology and dedicated R&D facilities, KDDI enables its clients to reach their innovative potential.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/ciena. Investors are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website at www.ciena.com/investors, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 9, 2016. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
+1 (877) 857-7377